Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 AM
"Thomas H. George"

Default need help with chroot

The man page and a google search gave minimum info except for the link
to www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tip.en.html. Following by
rote the prompts in 8.6.35.1 I think I succeeded in installing a minimal
Etch installation though the prompt never changed to chroot # when I
entered chroot /bkup/etch-root /bin/bash and a subsequent command
apt-setup was unknown. (I started by making the directory
/bkup/etch-root as I have lots of hard drive space in /bkup while 66% of
/ is used.)

Next I proceeded to 8.6.35.2 again following the instructions by rote.
Now Ctl-Alt F8 allows a login as root with no password to an empty
directory.

Is there a good thorough exposition of the uses of chroot?

Tom

Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Gabriel Parrondo

El mié, 16-07-2008 a las 21:13 -0400, Thomas H. George escribió:
> The man page and a google search gave minimum info except for the link
> to www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tip.en.html. Following by

I think that document is a little out of date. The 'MAKEDEV generic' for
example, is not commonly used nowadays.

> rote the prompts in 8.6.35.1 I think I succeeded in installing a minimal
> Etch installation though the prompt never changed to chroot # when I
> entered chroot /bkup/etch-root /bin/bash and a subsequent command
> apt-setup was unknown. (I started by making the directory
> /bkup/etch-root as I have lots of hard drive space in /bkup while 66% of
> / is used.)

As I said, this document seems out of date. Apt-setup is not in lenny
and I guess it's the same for etch.
Try the debootstrap manpage instead.

> Next I proceeded to 8.6.35.2 again following the instructions by rote.
> Now Ctl-Alt F8 allows a login as root with no password to an empty
> directory.

So?

> Is there a good thorough exposition of the uses of chroot?

'man chroot' is a good start. For the specific use of creating a debian
chroot, you might prefer debootstrap(8).
Also, there's a lot of posts on the list about these (there were some
recently) and definitely a lot more in google.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."

Old 07-17-2008, 09:11 PM
David Barrett

Gabriel Parrondo wrote:

[...]

I've been playing around with bootable qemu images, which are really
just bootable chroots. You might check out the script this list helped
me develop, posted here:

http://blog.quinthar.com/2008/07/building-1gb-bootable-qemu-image-using.html

In particular, I think the following lines are most relevant for setting
up a chroot (where "$1.mount" is the directory into which you want to
create the chroot; once done simply type "sudo chroot $1.mount" and you
should be in):

echo "Installing Etch into $1.mount"
sudo debootstrap --arch i386 etch $1.mount http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

echo "Setting up host networking in $1.mount for apt"
sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf $1.mount/etc
sudo cp /etc/hosts $1.mount/etc

echo "Installing kernel into $1.mount"
sudo chroot $1.mount apt-get update
sudo chroot $1.mount apt-get -y install gnupg
sudo chroot $1.mount apt-get update
echo "do_symlinks = yes
relative_links = yes
do_bootloader = yes
do_bootfloppy = no
do_initrd = yes
link_in_boot = no" > /tmp/kernel-img.conf
sudo mv /tmp/kernel-img.conf $1.mount/etc
sudo chroot $1.mount apt-get -y install linux-image-2.6-686

Good luck!

-david

Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 AM
T o n g

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:39:52 -0300, Gabriel Parrondo wrote:

>> Is there a good thorough exposition of the uses of chroot?
>>

> 'man chroot' is a good start. For the specific use of creating a debian
> chroot, you might prefer debootstrap(8).
> Also, there's a lot of posts on the list about these (there were some
> recently) and definitely a lot more in google.

I agree that chroot is a wild beast that is not well documented. To save
your time from poking around, check this out,

System Chroot And Debootstrap
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/chroot/

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)