Old 07-16-2008, 08:05 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Create single PDF out of several other files

I have a user who processes documents from other people. In Windows
she would select 20+ documents (all of the same type, usually pdf, gs,
or word files) and make a single PDF document out of them. She could
then easily take that PDF with her and print it at the job. I believe
that she was using Adobe Acrobat for this, but I'm not sure. How can
this be accomplished in Debian? We use the KDE desktop, so if there is
a KDE-based solution that I don't know about, I'd like to know about
it. Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Dotan Cohen escreveu:

I have a user who processes documents from other people. In Windows
she would select 20+ documents (all of the same type, usually pdf, gs,
or word files) and make a single PDF document out of them. She could
then easily take that PDF with her and print it at the job. I believe
that she was using Adobe Acrobat for this, but I'm not sure. How can
this be accomplished in Debian? We use the KDE desktop, so if there is
a KDE-based solution that I don't know about, I'd like to know about
it. Thanks in advance.

If the files are all PDF, then pdftk can easily join them in another
PDF. For Postscript, they can easily be converted to PDF and then joined.

I believe there was a KDE extension that allowed some pdftk operations
in an "easy" graphical way. But I do not remember in which package it was.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:30:54 -0300
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:

> Dotan Cohen escreveu:
> > I have a user who processes documents from other people. In Windows
> > she would select 20+ documents (all of the same type, usually pdf,
> > gs, or word files) and make a single PDF document out of them. She
> > could then easily take that PDF with her and print it at the job. I
> > believe that she was using Adobe Acrobat for this, but I'm not
> > sure. How can this be accomplished in Debian? We use the KDE
> > desktop, so if there is a KDE-based solution that I don't know
> > about, I'd like to know about it. Thanks in advance.
> >

> If the files are all PDF, then pdftk can easily join them in another
> PDF. For Postscript, they can easily be converted to PDF and then
> joined.
>
> I believe there was a KDE extension that allowed some pdftk
> operations in an "easy" graphical way. But I do not remember in which
> package it was.

Second to pdftk. I use it all the time.

e.g.

pdftk p1.pdf p2.pdf p3.pdf cat output p_combined.pdf

Amit

Old 07-16-2008, 09:11 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/7/16 Amit Uttamchandani <auttamchandani@canoga.com>:
> Second to pdftk. I use it all the time.
>
> e.g.
>
> pdftk p1.pdf p2.pdf p3.pdf cat output p_combined.pdf
>
> Amit

Thanks, Amit. I suppose now is my chance to learn KDE service menus so
that I can make this easy for her.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Stefan Schmidt

If the files are all PDF, then pdftk can easily join them in another
PDF. For Postscript, they can easily be converted to PDF and then
joined.

I believe there was a KDE extension that allowed some pdftk
operations in an "easy" graphical way. But I do not remember in which
package it was.

Second to pdftk. I use it all the time.

e.g.

pdftk p1.pdf p2.pdf p3.pdf cat output p_combined.pdf

pdftk has a really nice minimal syntax, compared with Ghostscript.

gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=out.pdf in1.pdf
in2.pdf in3.pdf

Stefan

Old 07-18-2008, 05:07 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

> Dotan Cohen escreveu:
>> I have a user who processes documents from other people. In Windows
>> she would select 20+ documents (all of the same type, usually pdf, gs,
>> or word files) and make a single PDF document out of them. She could
>> then easily take that PDF with her and print it at the job. I believe
>> that she was using Adobe Acrobat for this, but I'm not sure. How can
>> this be accomplished in Debian? We use the KDE desktop, so if there is
>> a KDE-based solution that I don't know about, I'd like to know about
>> it. Thanks in advance.
>>

> If the files are all PDF, then pdftk can easily join them in another
> PDF. For Postscript, they can easily be converted to PDF and then joined.
>
> I believe there was a KDE extension that allowed some pdftk operations
> in an "easy" graphical way. But I do not remember in which package it was.

For merging .pdf files, I use pdftk (as already mentioned). For
merging .eps, .ps files, I use psmerge. A sample command would look like

psmerge -ocombined.eps file1.eps file2.eps file3.eps file4.eps

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

> For merging .pdf files, I use pdftk (as already mentioned). For
> merging .eps, .ps files, I use psmerge. A sample command would look like
>
> psmerge -ocombined.eps file1.eps file2.eps file3.eps file4.eps

Thanks Kamaraju. I have yet to get to try anything, but psmerge looks
like a good start for the gs files, as I as pretty sure that they are
ps compatible.

Does anyone know a solution for .doc files? I know that she works with
.doc files as well.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 07-19-2008, 08:29 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/7/18 Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de>:

> On 2008-07-18 12:57, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Does anyone know a solution for .doc files? I know that she works with
>> .doc files as well.
>
> from man ooffice:
>
> openoffice(1)
>
> Name
> openoffice - OpenOffice.org office suite
> [...]
> -p filename...
> Prints the given files to the default printer and ends.
> The splash screen does not appear.
>
> If the file name contains spaces, then it must be enclosed
> in quotation marks.
>
> -pt printername filename...
> Prints the given files to the printer printername and
> ends. The splash screen does not appear.
>
> If the file name contains spaces, then it must be enclosed
> in quotation marks.
>
> It shouldn't be to difficult to automate this by a little bash script /
> command.
>
> HTH,

Thanks. I suppose that she could print to PDF, as she does have OOo installed.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il