-   -   install debian on dell poweredge 1950 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/126002-install-debian-dell-poweredge-1950-a.html)

"Surachai Locharoen" 07-16-2008 05:49 PM

install debian on dell poweredge 1950

Hello I am running the following set up:

A dell poweredge 1950: running Debian Etch

** - 1x Dual Core 64-bit Intel(r) Xeon(r) 5050, 2x2MB Cache, 3.00GHz, 667MHz
** FSB
** - 2GB 533MHz (4x512MB), Single Ranked DIMMs
** - 2x 146GB,SAS, 3.5-inch, 10K RPM Hard Drive
** - Integrated SAS/SATA RAID 1, PERC 5/i

** - Redundant Power Supply with Y-Cord

Everything is fine on my server except for that fact that everytime I try to
connect the connection times out at first. It can take as much as 1 minute
for the connection to work.

Then after a while my putty sessions, ssh session, apache sessions time out.

I've used tcpdump to look for network card errors and there seems to be
none. I've look through the logs no refused connections for apache.

I have the Broadcom NetExtreme Dual Gigabyte Ethernet and I'm starting to
think maybe there is some weird problem with the bnx2 driver in the kernel
I'm running.

Linux cando 2.6.15-26-amd64-generic #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 02:52:35 UTC
2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Another possibility I thought of is that some kind of power managment or
wake on Lan function is causing problems.

However I booted up with ACPI=off so I thought that would disable power
managment.

Where do I begin with this , it seems to be quite elusive and I can't get a
straight answer anywhere.

My ip is static but I know it's on a DHCP network so I was also wondering if
I'm having DHCP conflicts. I have to check with the network admin tomorrow
about that.

SSH, Apache, Putty session reset or timeout, then 20s-1min later all seems
fine.

The interval is about every 10-30minutes.
Static IP behind nat 10.0.0.0 network

Thanks in Advance for your help. Any clue would help.
If I can't figure this out soon my impulse is to replace the Broadcom Dual
Ethernet with an Intel Pro Dual or single Gigabyte Ethernet card.
I'd really like to avoid this if possible so see if you can give me a lead.

Thanks,

--
Surachai Locharoen

--
Surachai Locharoen

Amit Uttamchandani 07-16-2008 09:05 PM

install debian on dell poweredge 1950

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:49:30 +0700
"Surachai Locharoen" <kan2005@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello I am running the following set up:
>
> A dell poweredge 1950: running Debian Etch
>
> - 1x Dual Core 64-bit Intel(r) Xeon(r) 5050, 2x2MB Cache, 3.00GHz,
> 667MHz FSB
> - 2GB 533MHz (4x512MB), Single Ranked DIMMs
> - 2x 146GB,SAS, 3.5-inch, 10K RPM Hard Drive
> - Integrated SAS/SATA RAID 1, PERC 5/i
> - Redundant Power Supply with Y-Cord
>

> Everything is fine on my server except for that fact that everytime I
> try to connect the connection times out at first. It can take as much
> as 1 minute for the connection to work.
>
> Then after a while my putty sessions, ssh session, apache sessions
> time out.
>
> I've used tcpdump to look for network card errors and there seems to
> be none. I've look through the logs no refused connections for apache.
>
> I have the Broadcom NetExtreme Dual Gigabyte Ethernet and I'm
> starting to think maybe there is some weird problem with the bnx2
> driver in the kernel I'm running.
>
> Linux cando 2.6.15-26-amd64-generic #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 02:52:35
> UTC 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Another possibility I thought of is that some kind of power managment
> or wake on Lan function is causing problems.
>
> However I booted up with ACPI=off so I thought that would disable
> power managment.
>
> Where do I begin with this , it seems to be quite elusive and I can't
> get a straight answer anywhere.
>
> My ip is static but I know it's on a DHCP network so I was also
> wondering if I'm having DHCP conflicts. I have to check with the
> network admin tomorrow about that.

> SSH, Apache, Putty session reset or timeout, then 20s-1min later all
> seems fine.
>
> The interval is about every 10-30minutes.
> Static IP behind nat 10.0.0.0 network
>
> Thanks in Advance for your help. Any clue would help.
> If I can't figure this out soon my impulse is to replace the Broadcom
> Dual Ethernet with an Intel Pro Dual or single Gigabyte Ethernet card.
> I'd really like to avoid this if possible so see if you can give me a
> lead.
>
> Thanks,

Hi there,

You could try a newer kernel from backports.org. The latest one they
have is 2.6.25. It might help. If you have grub set up on this system
you can easily switch back to the old kernel at the startup menu if
2.6.25 doesn't work for you.

Good luck,
Amit

Alex Samad 07-17-2008 01:40 AM

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 02:05:02PM -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:49:30 +0700
> "Surachai Locharoen" <kan2005@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello I am running the following set up:
> >
> > A dell poweredge 1950: running Debian Etch
> >
> > - 1x Dual Core 64-bit Intel(r) Xeon(r) 5050, 2x2MB Cache, 3.00GHz,
> > 667MHz FSB
> > - 2GB 533MHz (4x512MB), Single Ranked DIMMs
> > - 2x 146GB,SAS, 3.5-inch, 10K RPM Hard Drive
> > - Integrated SAS/SATA RAID 1, PERC 5/i
> > - Redundant Power Supply with Y-Cord
> >

> > Everything is fine on my server except for that fact that everytime I
> > try to connect the connection times out at first. It can take as much
> > as 1 minute for the connection to work.
> >
> > Then after a while my putty sessions, ssh session, apache sessions
> > time out.
> >
> > I've used tcpdump to look for network card errors and there seems to
> > be none. I've look through the logs no refused connections for apache.
> >
> > I have the Broadcom NetExtreme Dual Gigabyte Ethernet and I'm
> > starting to think maybe there is some weird problem with the bnx2
> > driver in the kernel I'm running.
> >
> > Linux cando 2.6.15-26-amd64-generic #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 02:52:35
> > UTC 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > Another possibility I thought of is that some kind of power managment
> > or wake on Lan function is causing problems.
> >
> > However I booted up with ACPI=off so I thought that would disable
> > power managment.
> >
> > Where do I begin with this , it seems to be quite elusive and I can't
> > get a straight answer anywhere.

use ethtool to have a look at the device. As suggested use a new kernel,
watch out for 23 (I think) + 24 the boradcom drivers were removed as
they changed and there was an issue with the firemware.

Have a look on the switch at the switch port, see if there any errors
there.

When you are getting these errors do a tcpdump on the client and the
server, eliminated any routers in the middle.

> > My ip is static but I know it's on a DHCP network so I was also
> > wondering if I'm having DHCP conflicts. I have to check with the
> > network admin tomorrow about that.

> > SSH, Apache, Putty session reset or timeout, then 20s-1min later all
> > seems fine.
> >
> > The interval is about every 10-30minutes.
> > Static IP behind nat 10.0.0.0 network
> >
> > Thanks in Advance for your help. Any clue would help.
> > If I can't figure this out soon my impulse is to replace the Broadcom
> > Dual Ethernet with an Intel Pro Dual or single Gigabyte Ethernet card.
> > I'd really like to avoid this if possible so see if you can give me a
> > lead.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> Hi there,
>
> You could try a newer kernel from backports.org. The latest one they
> have is 2.6.25. It might help. If you have grub set up on this system
> you can easily switch back to the old kernel at the startup menu if
> 2.6.25 doesn't work for you.
>
> Good luck,
> Amit

"The Legislature makes the laws, and the Executive interprets the laws."

- George W. Bush

"Surachai Locharoen" 07-17-2008 05:26 AM

install debian on dell poweredge 1950

I upgrade kernel 2.6.25 from testing repository. After that*the computer*couldn't see network device. I*found that*bnx2 couldn't load firmware at booting time. So I manual load bnx2 module

********************** modprobe -r bnx2
********************** modprobe bnx2
The network device work again. However, the connection delay time still a problem.
*
If I change OS to Redhat or Ubuntu, Can solve this problem?