Old 07-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Default how often is etch kernel updated

Old 07-16-2008, 06:41 PM
michael

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 19:44 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> On 2008-07-16 18:22, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> > michael wrote:
> >> I'm at 2.6.18-6-686 and believe I need > 2.6.19 for pata_marvell module
> >> support. I'm wondering how often the Etch kernel is updated? Thanks, M
> >

> > Etch is current stable release and its kernel receive only security
> > updates. You can (at least)
> >
> > 1) use testing
> > 2) wait for new release (Lenny)
> > 3) use Etch system but newer kernel picked from testing
>
> 4) use the kernel form backports.org (Read their instructions[1])
> 5) wait for etch-and-a-half [2]. I don't know when it will be released,
> though.
>
> I'd probably go for option 4) in your case (and hope for an upgrade to
> etch-and-a-half whenever it is released).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Johannes
>
> [1] http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions
> [2] http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf

I'd previously had a quick look at backports web page but had failed to
search properly to find a newer linux-image but by adding it
to /etc/apt/sources.list I've found a much newer kernel which I'm now
attempted to boot into (remotely - fingers crossed).

thanks to all replies!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:41:56 +0100
michael <cs@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 19:44 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> > > Etch is current stable release and its kernel receive only
> > > security updates. You can (at least)
> > >
> > > 1) use testing
> > > 2) wait for new release (Lenny)
> > > 3) use Etch system but newer kernel picked from testing
> >
> > 4) use the kernel form backports.org (Read their instructions[1])
> > 5) wait for etch-and-a-half [2]. I don't know when it will be
> > released, though.
> >
> > I'd probably go for option 4) in your case (and hope for an upgrade
> > to etch-and-a-half whenever it is released).
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Johannes
> >
> > [1] http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions
> > [2] http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf
>

> I'd previously had a quick look at backports web page but had failed
> to search properly to find a newer linux-image but by adding it
> to /etc/apt/sources.list I've found a much newer kernel which I'm now
> attempted to boot into (remotely - fingers crossed).
>
> thanks to all replies!

The web site seems outdated but if you just do a search from
packages.debian.org you can click on [etch-backports] link and that
provides the up to date info.

Amit

Old 07-17-2008, 07:01 AM
michael

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 19:41 +0100, michael wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 19:44 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> > > Etch is current stable release and its kernel receive only security
> > > updates. You can (at least)
> > >
> > > 1) use testing
> > > 2) wait for new release (Lenny)
> > > 3) use Etch system but newer kernel picked from testing
> >
> > 4) use the kernel form backports.org (Read their instructions[1])
> > 5) wait for etch-and-a-half [2]. I don't know when it will be released,
> > though.
> >
> > I'd probably go for option 4) in your case (and hope for an upgrade to
> > etch-and-a-half whenever it is released).
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Johannes
> >
> > [1] http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions
> > [2] http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf
>

> I'd previously had a quick look at backports web page but had failed to
> search properly to find a newer linux-image but by adding it
> to /etc/apt/sources.list I've found a much newer kernel which I'm now
> attempted to boot into (remotely - fingers crossed).
>
> thanks to all replies!

just to say it did boot into the new kernel, although it didn't pick up
the network and I can't rebuild the nVidia driver (I really should try
'nv' if that works for dual heads)

thanks again, M

Old 07-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,16.Jul.08, 17:09:16, michael wrote:
> I'm at 2.6.18-6-686 and believe I need > 2.6.19 for pata_marvell module
> support. I'm wondering how often the Etch kernel is updated? Thanks, M

If I understand correctly, the etch-and-a-half kernel (2.6.24) should be
available from etch-proposed-updates.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)