-   -   Webcam setup (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/125996-webcam-setup.html)

Frank McCormick 07-16-2008 05:41 PM

Webcam setup

Amit Uttamchandani 07-16-2008 09:02 PM

Webcam setup

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:41:32 -0400
Frank McCormick <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:

> I am trying to test a Webcam (it's recognized by the USB system) on
> my Sid installation and am getting nowhere. The problem seems to be a
> lack of a video device. The program webcam keeps complaining about
> the lack of device video0. How do I create this device - my
> understanding is it should have been created when the system
> booted..or am I off-base ?
>
> Any and all advice appreciated
>
> Thanks

Not sure if I'm correct but it only gets created on boot if you have
the device specified under /etc/modules.

Amit

Frank McCormick 07-16-2008 09:38 PM

Webcam setup

"Michal R. Hoffmann" 07-17-2008 09:56 PM

Webcam setup

On 16/07/08 22:38, Frank McCormick wrote:
[]

Shortly after I sent this I figured it out - the needed module gspca for
my particular web-cam (a Microsoft VX-3000) is in the repositories. When it
was installed, all the problems vanished. The video quality is kind of
crappy ( it is a Microsoft camera after all) but it does work.
Thanks

- --
Frank -- debian@videotron.ca

The camera is not bad itself - it works quite well in MS Windows (I have
that webcam and tested both on MS Win and Linux). But then there are
proprietary MS drivers and it won't work that smooth on Linux. Logitech
webcams are much better with Linux and the price will be similar (I
tested Sphere-AF recently, it's absolutely fantastic!).

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann

Frank McCormick 07-18-2008 12:35 AM

Webcam setup

"Michal R. Hoffmann" 07-18-2008 06:48 PM

Webcam setup

On 16/07/08 22:38, Frank McCormick wrote:
[]

> video quality is kind of crappy ( it is a Microsoft camera after all)

> but it does work. Thanks

The camera is not bad itself - it works quite well in MS Windows (I have
that webcam and tested both on MS Win and Linux). But then there are
proprietary MS drivers and it won't work that smooth on Linux.

Its the really bad video quality which bugs me - and the alledged
adjustbility of hue, colour, brightness and contrast is a joke. It does put
a picture of sorts on the screen.

In Linux, yes, it's horrible. But this is a matter of drivers not the
hardware I believe. Well, I'm impressed with the fact there are _any_
kernel modules (gspca) which work with the webcam.

Logitech
webcams are much better with Linux and the price will be similar (I
tested Sphere-AF recently, it's absolutely fantastic!).

Maybe I'll spring for one of these. I should have known Micro$oft stuff
wouldn't work too well with Linux :)

You'll need few packages installed then, including uvc module and
luvcview. Note, there are Orbit MP and Orbit AF; from what I read the
latter works better with Linux. It has 'motorised' tilt and pan control,
which is quite awesome, but you'll need to get lucview source to tinker
with and compile yourself to access these features - you can google it out.

Thanks for your comments
- --
Frank -- debian@videotron.ca

You're welcome. Good luck with webcams :)

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann