Old 07-16-2008, 05:32 PM
"Lóránd Erik"

Default debian no client name??

Hi

I don't know what's the problem, i just can't figure it out:

I install standard debian etch without gui, i give hostname at install, etc, and when i log in the console, and i install ssh [apt-get install ssh openssh-server] i just can't ssh from an ubuntu, but i have done this before, but for some reason it just didn't works now i have some clue: i have a router [the two pc's are connected to it - TL-WR-543G] and in the DHCP client list, it says Client name: none - for the debian machine [i now it is it, because the ip match, [i set the address reservation in the router]]

anyone could help please?

ps.: sorry for my grammar

Old 07-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Lóránd Erik escreveu:

Hi

I don't know what's the problem, i just can't figure it out:

I install standard debian etch without gui, i give hostname at
install, etc, and when i log in the console, and i install ssh
[apt-get install ssh openssh-server] i just can't ssh from an ubuntu,
but i have done this before, but for some reason it just didn't works
now i have some clue: i have a router [the two pc's are connected
to it - TL-WR-543G] and in the DHCP client list, it says Client name:
none - for the debian machine [i now it is it, because the ip match,
[i set the address reservation in the router]]

anyone could help please?

ps.: sorry for my grammar

You have to add an entry to the /etc/hosts file of the Ubuntu machine
which the name and IP of your Debian box, or set up a DNS server to be
able to resolve the names.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Please reply to the list, where the conversation can be followed by more
persons. (And only to the list, do not CC me, please.)

Lóránd Erik escreveu:

You have to add an entry to the /etc/hosts file of the Ubuntu
machine which the name and IP of your Debian box, or set up a DNS
server to be able to resolve the names.

thank you, it worked, so after the standard debian install, there are
no hostname for the pc?? i mean i didn't see the client name in the
router:O

There is a name for that machine, but for it to be known to other
machines, either it must be present in /etc/hosts or a DNS server must
be present.

(It's true that some clients, notably Windows ones, have some way of
advertising their hostnames to routers and other equipment. I'm not sure
the protocol they use for that, but without a DNS server, that is not
enought for other Unix-like hosts to know that name.)

Old 07-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Jochen Schulz

Lóránd Erik:

> I don't know what's the problem, i just can't figure it out:
>
> I install standard debian etch without gui, i give hostname at install, etc,
> and when i log in the console, and i install ssh [apt-get install ssh
> openssh-server] i just can't ssh from an ubuntu,

For some reason, Debian's DHCP client doesn't send its hostname when
asking for an IP address. That's why the DHCP server (which probably
also answers DNS queries for you) is not able to resolve the DHCP
client's hostname.

You have to edit /etc/dhclient.conf or /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
(whichever you have), the setting should be right on the top.

J.
--
When you put a gun to my head you aren't fooling anyone.
[Agree] [Disagree]