Old 07-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Preston Boyington

Default auto update headers

why is it that after a round of updates via aptitude i have to go in and
install things like linux-headers afterwards? how can i tell it to
automatically update them along with the kernel? i was under the
impression that if i had them installed then aptitude would update them
as it does any other package.

usually i need this on my laptop. i use module assistant to compile the
madwifi and fglrx support. without the headers installing i lose wifi
on reboot and have to go through several steps to get it working again
(not difficult, just more trouble than i would think it should be).

if the headers were automatically installed i could open a terminal, run
m-a, and then have my network up in just a minute or so.

thanks all,
Preston

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Old 07-16-2008, 07:25 PM
"Mumia W.."

why is it that after a round of updates via aptitude i have to go in and
install things like linux-headers afterwards? how can i tell it to
automatically update them along with the kernel? i was under the
impression that if i had them installed then aptitude would update them
as it does any other package.

usually i need this on my laptop. i use module assistant to compile the
madwifi and fglrx support. without the headers installing i lose wifi
on reboot and have to go through several steps to get it working again
(not difficult, just more trouble than i would think it should be).

if the headers were automatically installed i could open a terminal, run
m-a, and then have my network up in just a minute or so.

thanks all,
Preston

You didn't say what kernel you installed (nor what O/S you're using--I
guess not Windows ;-) ).

It sounds like you installed a kernel image meta-package such as
linux-image-2.6-486. If so, also install the kernel headers meta-package
for your kernel, e.g. linux-headers-2.6-486.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:14 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:30:31AM -0500, Preston Boyington <preston.lists@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> why is it that after a round of updates via aptitude i have to go in and
> install things like linux-headers afterwards? how can i tell it to
> automatically update them along with the kernel? i was under the
> impression that if i had them installed then aptitude would update them
> as it does any other package.

Presumably because the headers for each kernel are in a separate
package (so they can be independently installed). So upgrading the
header package for, say, kernel 2.6.18-4 won't install the headers for
2.6.25-2.

The best way around this that I know is to install the kernel headers
metapackage for your architecture; e.g., linux-headers-2.6-686 if you
have an i686 kernel.

Daniel