Old 07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Nick Lidakis

Default Supported hardware

Stefan Neacsu wrote:

Hello! I recently tried to install the latest stable debian version on a
Asus A7k laptop, but the installer fails to identify my hard drive. Here is
the configuration:
CPU: AMD Turion 64 x2 TL60
Video: Ati Radeon HD 2600
RAM: 2048
HDD: Hitachi HTS542525K9SA00 SATA 250 GB
WLAN: Atheros chipset.

Are there any supplementary steps i need to do in order to install debian o
n this machine?
Please help.
Thank you,
Stefan

The latest stable might not have the proper drivers for you SATA
controller. Is this a new model machine?
Do you have a copy of latest Ubuntu CD? If not, can you burn a copy and
boot the CD and run Ubuntu live? You could then run lspci -v and find
out details about the laptop's hardware.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,16.Jul.08, 17:55:06, Stefan Neacsu wrote:
> Hello! I recently tried to install the latest stable debian version on a
> Asus A7k laptop, but the installer fails to identify my hard drive. Here is
> the configuration:
> CPU: AMD Turion 64 x2 TL60
> Video: Ati Radeon HD 2600
> RAM: 2048
> HDD: Hitachi HTS542525K9SA00 SATA 250 GB
> WLAN: Atheros chipset.
>
> Are there any supplementary steps i need to do in order to install debian o
> n this machine?
> Please help.
> Thank you,
> Stefan

Hi Ștefan (I hope you have the correct font to show the SH)

You might want to try etch with the newer kernel (etch-and-a-half). It's
not officially out yet, but there are instructions on how to install it

http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)