-   -   Why isn't Gnome 2.22 in sid yet? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/125752-why-isnt-gnome-2-22-sid-yet.html)

Cameron Hutchison 07-16-2008 10:38 AM

Why isn't Gnome 2.22 in sid yet?

Why isn't all of Gnome 2.22 in sid yet? I'm most interested in the panel
and the applets which are still at 2.20.3.

2.22 is in experimental but has not yet gone into sid? What's holding it
up? What needs to be done to get it into sid and is there anything I can
do to help it along?

Simon Wesp 07-16-2008 12:40 PM

Why isn't Gnome 2.22 in sid yet?

Am Mittwoch, 16 Juli 2008 10:38:18
schrieb Cameron Hutchison <lists@xdna.net>:

> Why isn't all of Gnome 2.22 in sid yet? I'm most interested in the panel
> and the applets which are still at 2.20.3.

- many applications now use the new gio library instead of gnome-vfs, leading to important performance improvements
- A handful of packages (namely nautilus, gnome-panel and libgnome) will be shipped in their 2.20 version, as we felt gvfs was not stable and featured enough for a stable Debian release. We include our patched, rock-solid version of gnome-vfs instead, even though it means less performance.

http://wiki.debian.org/NewInLenny

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus dem schönen Hainzell
Simon Wesp

The G in GNU stands for GNU

"Sridhar M.A." 07-16-2008 03:38 PM

Why isn't Gnome 2.22 in sid yet?

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 02:40:04PM +0200, Simon Wesp wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 16 Juli 2008 10:38:18
> schrieb Cameron Hutchison <lists@xdna.net>:
>
> > Why isn't all of Gnome 2.22 in sid yet? I'm most interested in the panel
> > and the applets which are still at 2.20.3.
>
> - many applications now use the new gio library instead of gnome-vfs, leading to important performance improvements
> - A handful of packages (namely nautilus, gnome-panel and libgnome) will be shipped in their 2.20 version, as we felt gvfs was not stable and featured enough for a stable Debian release. We include our patched, rock-solid version of gnome-vfs instead, even though it means less performance.

Somewhat unrelated to this, why is abiword lagging behind so much?

Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

Nothing succeeds like success.
-- Alexandre Dumas