Old 07-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Steve Lamb

Default VirtualBox WinXP host, Linux Partition guest?

Hello,
Anyone know how to get VirtualBox to make a definition to book a Linux
host from a partition? The instructions I have found thus far reference the
partition as /dev/sda...blah.blah.blah.... That's great for when I want to
boot Windows from my Linux partition (might try that tonight) but I want to do
the opposite.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 08:51 pm, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Hello,
> Anyone know how to get VirtualBox to make a definition to book a Linux
> host from a partition? The instructions I have found thus far reference
> the partition as /dev/sda...blah.blah.blah.... That's great for when I
> want to boot Windows from my Linux partition (might try that tonight) but I
> want to do the opposite.

Hi. I'm not quite sure what you want to do, but it sounds to me like you want
a windows host to boot a linux guest. So, you need to download the correct
windows binary, install it and then create the linux guest in the windows
host. Did that answer your question?

Mark

Old 07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:08:30PM -0400, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> Hi. I'm not quite sure what you want to do, but it sounds to me like you
> want a windows host to boot a linux guest.

Correct.

> So, you need to download the correct windows binary, install it and then
> create the linux guest in the windows host.

This is where I am now. A Windows host is booting a Linux guest from a
hard drive image.

> Did that answer your question?

Nope. What I want to do is have my Windows host boot a Linux guest from a
*real* hard drive partition, not an image. The VirtualBox help gives a method
to do the reverse, IE, a Linux host booting a real Windows partition.
However, the command to do so references the partition from the /dev tree;
something that obviously will not work for a Windows host. I'm looking for
the Windows version of that command.

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 8B6E99C5 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Wackojacko

Steve C. Lamb wrote:

Hi. I'm not quite sure what you want to do, but it sounds to me like you
want a windows host to boot a linux guest.

Correct.

So, you need to download the correct windows binary, install it and then
create the linux guest in the windows host.

This is where I am now. A Windows host is booting a Linux guest from a
hard drive image.

Did that answer your question?

Nope. What I want to do is have my Windows host boot a Linux guest from a
*real* hard drive partition, not an image. The VirtualBox help gives a method
to do the reverse, IE, a Linux host booting a real Windows partition.
However, the command to do so references the partition from the /dev tree;
something that obviously will not work for a Windows host. I'm looking for
the Windows version of that command.

The command is the same except the device section is as follows (from
user manual section 9.9)

*On a Windows host, instead of the above device speciļ¬cation, use e.g.
.PhysicalDrive0.*

May need full path to VBoxManage to work.

The only problem I had was getting an mbr to boot the linux partition.
Tried the fakembr package but as I have grub in the MBR of the physical
disk it wouldn't work for me. I eventually used a grub floppy image
mounted at boot time pointing to the menu.lst on the linux partition
which works!

HTH

Wackojacko

Old 07-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Carl Fink

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:27:53PM -0400, Steve C. Lamb wrote:

> Nope. What I want to do is have my Windows host boot a Linux guest from a
> *real* hard drive partition, not an image. The VirtualBox help gives a method
> to do the reverse, IE, a Linux host booting a real Windows partition.
> However, the command to do so references the partition from the /dev tree;
> something that obviously will not work for a Windows host. I'm looking for
> the Windows version of that command.

Risky. The Linux kernel won't be seeing the real hardware, because
VirtualBox virtualizes everything.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Old 07-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Steve Lamb

Wackojacko wrote:
The command is the same except the device section is as follows (from
user manual section 9.9)

*On a Windows host, instead of the above device speciļ¬cation, use e.g.
.PhysicalDrive0.*

Cripes, good catch. I can see how I missed it being one line and not in
the same format as all the other command lines. *sigh* Thanks for the
clue-by-four.

May need full path to VBoxManage to work.

Hrm, not sure, I'm getting the dreaded VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND error. Will
have to twiddle with this tomorrow night.

C:Program FilesSunxVM VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe internalcommands createrawvmd
k -filename test.vmdk -rawdisk .PysicalDrive0
VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 1.6.2
(C) 2005-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Error opening the raw disk: VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Tried the fakembr package but as I have grub in the MBR of the physical
disk it wouldn't work for me. I eventually used a grub floppy image
mounted at boot time pointing to the menu.lst on the linux partition
which works!

Ha, cute! Will have to remember that. Thanks again.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Wackojacko

Steve Lamb wrote:

Hrm, not sure, I'm getting the dreaded VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND error.
Will have to twiddle with this tomorrow night.

C:Program FilesSunxVM VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe internalcommands
createrawvmd

k -filename test.vmdk -rawdisk .PysicalDrive0

^
Is this a typo in the e-mail or the command?

VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 1.6.2
(C) 2005-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Error opening the raw disk: VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

I did get this initially but the latest versions seem to work OK.

HTH

Wackojacko

Old 07-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Steve Lamb

Wackojacko wrote:

Is this a typo in the e-mail or the command?

Was me fat fingering it. Sure enough, put the h in and it worked.
Thanks much for a second application of the clue-by-four.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM
ernest

Hi

This may not be the correct place for me to post this question but i
couldn't find anywhere that i can. Please direct me to the correct forum
if it is the wrong place.

I have two partitions created on my Laptop, one for Win XP and the other
for Debian Squeeze.

I read about this article and tried the suggestions. Booted from Win XP
(as Host)and created a .VMDK file to boot Debian VM guest from the
"REAL" Debian partition. It works and able to logon into the linux system.

However, I encountered problem with networking. I'm unable to ping
anyone else except local host. When check on IFCONFIG, there is no eth0
configured.

To confirm if my ethernet card is ok, i booted up Linux from Linux
partition. It came up perfectly ok and I can ping my gateway and i can
see eth0 in IFCONIG.

Did i missed anything or the networking would not work in this kind of
setup?

Appreciate your input & advise.

Ernest

Archive: 502CC84B.1050508@cse.com.my">http://lists.debian.org/502CC84B.1050508@cse.com.my

Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 AM
"Karl E. Jorgensen"

Hi

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:15:39AM +0100, ernest wrote:
> Hi
>
> This may not be the correct place for me to post this question but i
> couldn't find anywhere that i can. Please direct me to the correct forum
> if it is the wrong place.

Not sure this is the correct place, but it _is_ debian related, so I'll bite...

> I have two partitions created on my Laptop, one for Win XP and the other
> for Debian Squeeze.
>
> I read about this article and tried the suggestions. Booted from Win XP
> (as Host)and created a .VMDK file to boot Debian VM guest from the
> "REAL" Debian partition. It works and able to logon into the linux system.

Ouwh... Running Debian inside a virtual machine on an XP box?? Sounds
like a bad idea, for both performance and stability. You'll probably
find that the preference around here is the other way around (if you
really insist on running XP at all!). But then again, this is a debian
mailing list...

> However, I encountered problem with networking. I'm unable to ping
> anyone else except local host. When check on IFCONFIG, there is no eth0
> configured.

I assume that you have networking set up in virtualbox.

Is there _any_ eth* device? Perhaps you have an eth1? Debian will
remember the MAC address of the network cards in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (so that eth0/eth1/eth* dont
swap around depending on the order the kernel detects them). Since
you probably have a different MAC address inside virtualbox, the "new"
one will be eth1 (or eth2 if you already had an eth1 etc). If you
remove /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, it will be
re-created on the next boot.

> To confirm if my ethernet card is ok, i booted up Linux from Linux
> partition. It came up perfectly ok and I can ping my gateway and i can
> see eth0 in IFCONIG.

I assume that the network card works OK in Win XP ? if not, then all
bets are off: If the underlying machine does not have networking, the
virtual machines will be "isolated" too...

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen