Old 07-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Marko Randjelovic

Default APT Strange Behaviour (Priorities)

I use backports repo for Etch and when I put it to priority 500 (explicitely in /etc/apt/preferences), "apt-get
dist-upgrade" says it wants to upgrade wine. If I don't say anything, it doesn't. Why is this happening, since default
priority should also be 500?

/etc/apt/sources.list :

-------------------
#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 Binary-1 (20061009)]/ etch contrib main

deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ etch contrib main non-free
deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ etch contrib main non-free

deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ testing contrib main non-free
deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ testing contrib main non-free

deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ etch main # mplayer amd64 acroread
# deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian/ etch main
# deb http://tonelli.sns.it/pub/mplayer/etch/ ./
# deb http://www.tux.org/pub/java/debian/ testing non-free # java amd64
# deb http://ftp.debian-unofficial.org/debian/ testing contrib main non-free restricted # cpuburn-in i386 acroread fontovi
# deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ etch non-free
# deb http://dotdeb.pimpmylinux.org/ sarge all
# deb http://www.debian-desktop.org/pub/linux/debian/kde-goodies/ . . # kde xorg
# deb http://www.os-works.com/debian/ testing main

#deb http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool sun-java5
#deb-src http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool sun-java5

#deb http://uqm.debian.net/ unstable/
#deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-security main restricted universe multiverse
----------------

/etc/apt/preferences :

----------------
Package: sun-java5-bin
Pin: version 1.5.0-08-1.1
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: sun-java5-demo
Pin: version 1.5.0-08-1.1
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: sun-java5-doc
Pin: version 1.5.0-08-1.1
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: sun-java5-fonts
Pin: version 1.5.0-08-1.1
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: sun-java5-jdk
Pin: version 1.5.0-08-1.1
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: sun-java5-jre
Pin: version 1.5.0-08-1.1
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: sun-java5-source
Pin: version 1.5.0-08-1.1
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: grub
Pin: version 0.97-23
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: ia32-libs
Pin: version 2.2
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: localization-config
Pin: version 1.0~rc2
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: ia32-libs-kde
Pin: version 7.2
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: *
Pin: origin www.backports.org
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: origin archive.ubuntu.com
Pin-Priority: 350

Package: *
Pin: origin security.ubuntu.com
Pin-Priority: 350

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 300
------------

/etc/apt/apt.conf :

------------
APT::Authentication::TrustCDROM "true";
Acquire::http::Proxy "false";

APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists 1;
APT::Periodic:ownload-Upgradeable-Packages 1;
//APT:efault-Release etch-backports;
------------

# cat apt.conf.d/*
DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs { "/usr/bin/apt-listchanges --apt || test $? -ne 0"; };
DPkg::Tools::Options::/usr/bin/apt-listchanges::Version "2";
// Pre-configure all packages with debconf before they are installed.
// If you don't like it, comment it out.
DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs {"/usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt || true";};
APT::Cache-Limit "26777216";

Old 07-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,16.Jul.08, 00:03:45, Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> I use backports repo for Etch and when I put it to priority 500 (explicitely in /etc/apt/preferences), "apt-get
> dist-upgrade" says it wants to upgrade wine. If I don't say anything, it doesn't. Why is this happening, since default
> priority should also be 500?

'apt-cache policy' will show you apt's idea of priorities.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Marko Randjelovic

main:~# apt-cache policy | grep -i backport
1 http://www.backports.org etch-backports/non-free Packages
release o=Backports.org archive,a=etch-backports,l=Backports.org archive,c=non-free
origin www.backports.org
1 http://www.backports.org etch-backports/contrib Packages
release o=Backports.org archive,a=etch-backports,l=Backports.org archive,c=contrib
origin www.backports.org
1 http://www.backports.org etch-backports/main Packages
release o=Backports.org archive,a=etch-backports,l=Backports.org archive,c=main
origin www.backports.org

It looks like apt have an idea backports.org has priority of 1 when there is no entry in preferences file. Why?

Don't get confused, since I have made some modifications to files. Now backports.org is identified by release statement,
not origin.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Marko Randjelovic

> It looks like apt have an idea backports.org has priority of 1 when there is no entry in preferences file. Why?

Every other priorities are recognized correctly.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Marko Randjelovic

Marko Randjelovic wrote:
>> It looks like apt have an idea backports.org has priority of 1 when there is no entry in preferences file. Why?
>
> Every other priorities are recognized correctly.

Also, there is no mention of priority=1 in /etc/apt/preferences.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:09 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:21:59PM +0200, Marko Randjelovic <marel@sbb.rs> was heard to say: