Old 07-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Incredible world-wide transportation network

Old 07-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Shachar Or

That is truly fast. Wouldn't have assumed this...

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Nate Bargmann

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [2008 Jul 15 12:12 -0500]:

> Last Wednesday, I bought two WD6400AAKS drives from NewEgg.
>
> They were manufactured in Thailand only 21 days ago. They couldn't
> have been sitting in NE's warehouse very long...

Thank an oil driller. :-)

- Nate >>

Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ron Johnson wrote:

Last Wednesday, I bought two WD6400AAKS drives from NewEgg.

They were manufactured in Thailand only 21 days ago. They couldn't
have been sitting in NE's warehouse very long...

About $90 each. But 640GB each what a world are you going to store on
them? And also amazing is the cost/GB. I remember when at IBM a 125MB
disk was a super deal...

Hugo

Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-15-2008, 11:11 PM

And remember the original Winchesters were only 30M on a side (hence
the name)
Larry

Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Ron Johnson wrote:

-- Albert Einstein

Old 07-16-2008, 01:46 AM
Nate Bargmann

* Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> [2008 Jul 15 17:12 -0500]:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Last Wednesday, I bought two WD6400AAKS drives from NewEgg.
>>
>> They were manufactured in Thailand only 21 days ago. They couldn't
>> have been sitting in NE's warehouse very long...
>>

> About $90 each. But 640GB each what a world are you going to store on
> them? And also amazing is the cost/GB. I remember when at IBM a 125MB
> disk was a super deal...

Right at 18 years ago I bought my first hard drive, a Seagate 20 MB MFM
drive with a Western Digital controller card for my PC XT clone for
$80. I thought it was a heckuva deal.

That computer served me very well for several years.

- Nate >>

Old 07-16-2008, 02:20 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-16-2008, 02:41 AM
Nate Bargmann

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [2008 Jul 15 21:21 -0500]:

> In 1990? Seems like it would have been a close-out deal.

I bought it from a friend at the tech school I was attending.

> > That computer served me very well for several years.
>
> Leading Edge D?

Nope. No name assemblage of pieces and parts. The main board was a
DTK, the rest had various pedigrees such as a Hercules monochrome video
board, IBM 88 key keyboard, IBM 62.5 Watt PS that I had to upgrade to a
150 Watt soon after buying the drive, Amdek amber monitor. It did have
640k of RAM and dual 360k floppies when I bought it in 1989.

- Nate >>