Old 07-15-2008, 03:02 PM
David Baron

Default 2.6.25 New RTC Options

I just built a realtime patched 2.6.25 kernel. Boots up, runs fine except hal
kicks out DMA, resets the IDE on startup. Device busy, timing problems. Hdparm
can set the parameters back no sweat afterwards, but ...

The Linux Audio Users list has been discussing new RTC options which I am not
sure I or other respondents understand. This is what I have now:

$ lsmod | grep rtc
snd_rtctimer 3616 0
rtc_cmos 10848 0
rtc_core 19632 1 rtc_cmos
rtc_lib 3200 1 rtc_core
rtc 14620 1 snd_rtctimer

Works, but newer stuff should have /dev/rtc# or /dev/rtc/rtc# rather than
simply /dev/rtc, I have been told. I added the cmos module, rtc-core was from
the previous .config. The snd-rtctimer was needed by some audio programs
(rosegarden?, ardour? muse?)

There is a nice all-caps line written in the .config CONFLICTING RTC CONFIG,
CHECK RTC, GENRTC.

I had genrtc configured in and have been blacklisting it. Eesy enough to get
rid of that. The big warning persists, however.

What should be used for the newer kernel versions?
hpet instead of all of this?
No more CONFIG_RTC, something else instead.
Newer substitute for snd_rtctimer than does not need the rtc module?
Or does hpet provide this to everyone's satisfaction.

I am running Sid on a PIII box with a via chipset MB. I needed to compile in
the via IDE controller instead of the generic one to get MDA to work. Do I
need a special rtc driver as well?