Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 PM
"H.S."

Default flashblock and noscript extensions want root access?

Hello,

I tried to install the NoScript and Flashblock extensions in Iceape
browser (on fully upgraded Debian Testing), but both extensions report
that I do not have write permissions to some directories.

Looks like they are being installed system wide. Why so? Aren't they
supposed to be installed only my user's profile? Any resolutions to this
problem?

Thanks.
->HS

Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-14-2008, 10:37 PM
"H.S."

Ron Johnson wrote:

Any resolutions to this
problem?

Run iceape from an xterm, see if that gives you any feedback. If
not, run it thru strace.

Running through xterm gave nothing, no messages at all. I cannot make
neither head nor tail of the tons of messages strace spews out though.
What am I looking for?

By the way, the extension installation reports success after reporting
that it needs write permissions to installation directories.

I would also like to know, is there anyone who is using any extensions
with Iceape in Debian Testing or Unstable? Apparently, older versions of
extensions in older versions of Iceape seem to work.

->HS

Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-14-2008, 11:11 PM
"H.S."

Ron Johnson wrote:

Actually, I see this when running Windows and updating plugins in
restricted-privilege accounts.
So looks like the extensions are supposed to be installed system wide
now (for some reason). In that case, shouldn't there be Debian packages
for those extensions since one cannot just install an xpi in his user
account?

->HS

Old 07-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Ron Johnson