FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Using apt to install only one package

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/14/08 14:32, andy wrote:
[snip]
>
> I don't mind installing more packages than what I had thought I needed:
> I am quite happy to believe that apt knows more than I do about what is
> best for my machine!!
>
> I was just concerned that with my sources.list opened up to a Sid
> repository temporarily for the purposes of this operation - to retrieve
> a kernel header for the nVidia driver - that if apt downloaded and
> installed a whole bunch of other packages that I would end up in the
> sticky situation of having a mixed set of libraries. I have a lot of
> work that I need to get on with, so the last thing I needed was an
> unstable system because I'd gotten Lenny and Sid libraries all confused.
> Hence my reluctance to walk down that particular road without getting a
> clearer sense of what was going on.
>
> If it is a case of allowing apt to do its thing, then who am I to argue
> with that. I would like to use the 2-6-25 kernel, but to be honest am
> not wedded to needing to do so, so am relaxed about proceeding cautiously.

Andy,

This is why I use the nvidia driver straight from nvidia.com.

Of course, I boot directly into the console, and have no qualms
about rebuilding the driver after upgrading the kernel...

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkh7uNQACgkQS9HxQb37XmdKfACgt3MpGnyfCu NynzRGcEqhK2lb
9WoAoIbJpxSPekrtWJKYlCfObxf/19ld
=qWtq
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Using apt to install only one package

On Mon,14.Jul.08, 20:15:45, andy wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am running Lenny/Testing and with the recent package updates a new set
> of kernel headers was installed which has completely screwed my nVidia
> driver settings. I had to reboot into 2-6-24 rather than the 2-6-25 in
> order to get GDM to work.

This I don't understand. AFAIK the headers are used only when compiling,
how could updating them screw with nvidia driver *settings*? Maybe some
other packages were upgraded as well?

> When I went to change the sources list to enable me access the
> appropriate nVidia driver from the Sid repositories using apt, there
> were any number of packages that apt wanted to install as well,
> alongside the nVidia.

Of course. Apt will always want to install the newest package, but
according to priority, see below.

> What is the correct syntax to ensure that when I am wanting to install
> the nVidia driver from Sid I limit it to *only* the package(s) I am
> seeking rather than everything else that apt wants me to install? I've
> spent the last 1/2 hour or Googling this and I can't find an answer.
> Perhaps my search string is incorrect, but even so if anyone is able to
> assist me, that would be great.

Add a line like this:

APT:efault-Release "testing";

to your /etc/apt/apt.conf. If the file doesn't exist you can create it.
The you can use 'aptitude install -t my_sid_package' to install a
package from sid, but also any required dependencies.

You can check the setting works by running 'apt-cache policy'. You
should get priority 990 for testing and 500 for unstable.

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)
 
Old 07-15-2008, 01:37 AM
"Mumia W.."
 
Default Using apt to install only one package

On 07/14/2008 02:15 PM, andy wrote:

Hi

I am running Lenny/Testing and with the recent package updates a new set
of kernel headers was installed which has completely screwed my nVidia
driver settings. I had to reboot into 2-6-24 rather than the 2-6-25 in
order to get GDM to work.

[...]


This may be related to a mistake in the configuring of the 2.6.25 kernel
in Lenny. See this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=pan.2008.07.14.17.31.53.302913@yahoo.c om




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-15-2008, 05:13 PM
andy
 
Default Using apt to install only one package

Mumia W.. wrote:

On 07/14/2008 02:15 PM, andy wrote:

Hi

I am running Lenny/Testing and with the recent package updates a new
set of kernel headers was installed which has completely screwed my
nVidia driver settings. I had to reboot into 2-6-24 rather than the
2-6-25 in order to get GDM to work.

[...]


This may be related to a mistake in the configuring of the 2.6.25
kernel in Lenny. See this:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=pan.2008.07.14.17.31.53.302913@yahoo.c om






Thanks Mumia. I see no-one has yet answered the poster's question about
"whose bright idea was this?" nor is there any proposed fix. I'll have
to keep watching that space.


Cheers

Andy

--

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." - Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-15-2008, 05:14 PM
andy
 
Default Using apt to install only one package

Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Mon,14.Jul.08, 20:15:45, andy wrote:


Hi

I am running Lenny/Testing and with the recent package updates a new set
of kernel headers was installed which has completely screwed my nVidia
driver settings. I had to reboot into 2-6-24 rather than the 2-6-25 in
order to get GDM to work.



This I don't understand. AFAIK the headers are used only when compiling,
how could updating them screw with nvidia driver *settings*? Maybe some
other packages were upgraded as well?



When I went to change the sources list to enable me access the
appropriate nVidia driver from the Sid repositories using apt, there
were any number of packages that apt wanted to install as well,
alongside the nVidia.



Of course. Apt will always want to install the newest package, but
according to priority, see below.



What is the correct syntax to ensure that when I am wanting to install
the nVidia driver from Sid I limit it to *only* the package(s) I am
seeking rather than everything else that apt wants me to install? I've
spent the last 1/2 hour or Googling this and I can't find an answer.
Perhaps my search string is incorrect, but even so if anyone is able to
assist me, that would be great.



Add a line like this:

APT:efault-Release "testing";

to your /etc/apt/apt.conf. If the file doesn't exist you can create it.
The you can use 'aptitude install -t my_sid_package' to install a
package from sid, but also any required dependencies.

You can check the setting works by running 'apt-cache policy'. You
should get priority 990 for testing and 500 for unstable.

Regards,
Andrei


Thanks for the tip Andrei. I have yet to apply it, but am keeping a
list of potential fixes to use over the weekend when I have some
downtime.



Appreciate your input.



Cheers



Andy



--

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." - Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"
 
Old 07-15-2008, 05:17 PM
andy
 
Default Using apt to install only one package

Ron Johnson wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/14/08 14:32, andy wrote:
[snip]


I don't mind installing more packages than what I had thought I needed:
I am quite happy to believe that apt knows more than I do about what is
best for my machine!!

I was just concerned that with my sources.list opened up to a Sid
repository temporarily for the purposes of this operation - to retrieve
a kernel header for the nVidia driver - that if apt downloaded and
installed a whole bunch of other packages that I would end up in the
sticky situation of having a mixed set of libraries. I have a lot of
work that I need to get on with, so the last thing I needed was an
unstable system because I'd gotten Lenny and Sid libraries all confused.
Hence my reluctance to walk down that particular road without getting a
clearer sense of what was going on.

If it is a case of allowing apt to do its thing, then who am I to argue
with that. I would like to use the 2-6-25 kernel, but to be honest am
not wedded to needing to do so, so am relaxed about proceeding cautiously.



Andy,

This is why I use the nvidia driver straight from nvidia.com.

Of course, I boot directly into the console, and have no qualms
about rebuilding the driver after upgrading the kernel...

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkh7uNQACgkQS9HxQb37XmdKfACgt3MpGnyfCu NynzRGcEqhK2lb
9WoAoIbJpxSPekrtWJKYlCfObxf/19ld
=qWtq
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




Ron



Yep - I too used the driver straight from nVidia itself which is why I
think that I may have run aground with the kernel update, unless the
link Mumia supplied reflects a broader concern. I too received an error
message about a Xen kernel but didn't have the foggiest what that meant.



Unlike you, I have mucho qualms about upgrading a kernel :-) so tend to
steer away from doing so if I can.



BTW - your sig: you have "New New York", so unless it is an updated
version of NYC, I suspect it might be a typo?



Andy



--

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." - Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"
 
Old 07-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Wackojacko
 
Default Using apt to install only one package

andy wrote:



BTW - your sig: you have "New New York", so unless it is an updated
version of NYC, I suspect it might be a typo?


Andy



OR a subtle admission that he is a Dr Who fan!!

New New York is the name of New York in Parallel Earth I think!

HTH

Wackojacko


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-15-2008, 07:53 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"
 
Default Using apt to install only one package

> andy wrote:
>
> >
> > BTW - your sig: you have "New New York", so unless it is an updated
> > version of NYC, I suspect it might be a typo?
> >
> > Andy
> >
>
> OR a subtle admission that he is a Dr Who fan!!
>
> New New York is the name of New York in Parallel Earth I think!
>
> HTH
>
> Wackojacko

Actually, the quote ("Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city
of New New York is doomed." ) is from Morbo the anchorman for the news
on Futurama. New New York was named so when New York was destroyed and
rebuilt, hence New New York.

:-D

If it was possible to watch that show too much, I would probably have
done it by now. :-D

Have Fun!
Chris Stackpole


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Using apt to install only one package

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/15/08 14:33, Wackojacko wrote:
> andy wrote:
>
>>
>> BTW - your sig: you have "New New York", so unless it is an updated
>> version of NYC, I suspect it might be a typo?
>>
>> Andy
>>
>
> OR a subtle admission that he is a Dr Who fan!!
>
> New New York is the name of New York in Parallel Earth I think!

The new Dr. Who is just all *wrong*. If Tom Baker were dead, he'd
be spinning in his grave.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkh9AJUACgkQS9HxQb37Xmf60wCg3Az+H8qfgL XGlkSUbjX9PKHD
wAAAoIkkS9uboTIsh5OZ0z0g4Sy6iW03
=GyzJ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-15-2008, 11:10 PM
"Mumia W.."
 
Default Using apt to install only one package

On 07/15/2008 02:55 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:


The new Dr. Who is just all *wrong*.


How so?

If Tom Baker were dead, he'd
be spinning in his grave.




LOL

(Followups should go to debian-curiosa[at]lists.debian.org)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org