Old 07-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

Default Fast PDF File Viewing

I tried searching the mailing list archives as well as google for this
but did not find any concrete answer.

Here at work they have allowed me to use Linux . Anyways,
I am using debian exclusively and try to use Free Software applications
wherever I can. Based on my research the fastest PDF viewer out there
is xpdf. Right now it is performing fast, but when viewing large PDF
files (generated from AUTOCAD drawings), panning/scrolling through the
document takes a long time.

In comparison to a colleague's acrobat reader on windows, his acrobat
reader performs a lot faster.

After doing some research, I decided to try to compile the latest the
XPDF from source (3.02, the one I have is from etch repos @ ver 3.01).
Based on the new features/bug fixed list, there are a lot of changes
that help fix the performance issue described above. However, I can
never get it compiled in etch, the freetype libraries can never be
found.

Anyways, does anyone have any ideas regarding this? Any experiences in
fast PDF viewing?

Thanks,
Amit

Old 07-15-2008, 02:20 AM
Chris Burkhardt

Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

In comparison to a colleague's acrobat reader on windows, his acrobat
reader performs a lot faster.

Are your machines comparable processor- and RAM-wise?

(sorry for not answering your actual question)

- chris

Old 07-15-2008, 02:44 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 AM
Bret Busby

I tried searching the mailing list archives as well as google for this
but did not find any concrete answer.

Here at work they have allowed me to use Linux . Anyways,
I am using debian exclusively and try to use Free Software applications
wherever I can. Based on my research the fastest PDF viewer out there
is xpdf. Right now it is performing fast, but when viewing large PDF
files (generated from AUTOCAD drawings), panning/scrolling through the
document takes a long time.

In comparison to a colleague's acrobat reader on windows, his acrobat
reader performs a lot faster.

Do you have Acrobat Reader 8.0 installed on your Linux computer?

If so, how does the speed compare?

You have not made any reference to what version of Linux you are using;
whether it is Debian stable or Debian experimental, and whether you have
the latest available stable version of Acrobat Reader installed (version
number that you have installed?), and how the speed of whatever version
of Acrobat Reader you have installed, compares with your envied
colleague's Acrobat Reader.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..

Old 07-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Monday 14 July 2008 10:20 pm, Chris Burkhardt wrote:
> Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> > In comparison to a colleague's acrobat reader on windows, his acrobat
> > reader performs a lot faster.
>
> Are your machines comparable processor- and RAM-wise?
>
> (sorry for not answering your actual question)
>
> - chris

On windows acrobat preloads part of the program on boot. (It just sits taking
up ram waiting for you to use it) That's why it appears to start much more
quickly.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Arthur A

Mark Neidorff wrote:

In comparison to a colleague's acrobat reader on windows, his acrobat
reader performs a lot faster.

Are your machines comparable processor- and RAM-wise?

(sorry for not answering your actual question)

- chris

On windows acrobat preloads part of the program on boot. (It just sits taking
up ram waiting for you to use it) That's why it appears to start much more
quickly.

I think the issue isn't so much with how fast the program starts up (I have a
hard time believing even with preload it loads faster), rather, it's likely more
to do with the caching that adobe does in the background of pages you haven't
yet tried to view. I suspect, though I honestly haven't looked into it, that
adobe caches pages a lot more while xpdf or evince or what have you simply load
it upon request.

Perhaps this is an avenue to explore further.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
<snip>

After doing some research, I decided to try to compile the latest the
XPDF from source (3.02, the one I have is from etch repos @ ver 3.01).
Based on the new features/bug fixed list, there are a lot of changes
that help fix the performance issue described above. However, I can
never get it compiled in etch, the freetype libraries can never be
found.

<snip>
On another system, which has FreeType2 libraries and the according development
packages (package name in lenny, as an example, libfreetype6-dev) I configured
xpdf 3.02 with the following switches, a.o.,

--with-freetype2-library=/usr/lib
--with-freetype2-includes=/usr/include/freetype2

Jörg-Volker.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:20:30 -0600
Chris Burkhardt <chris@mretc.net> wrote:

> Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> > In comparison to a colleague's acrobat reader on windows, his
> > acrobat reader performs a lot faster.
>
> Are your machines comparable processor- and RAM-wise?
>
> (sorry for not answering your actual question)
>
> - chris

Hi,

Sorry for not posting more details...

The machines we have are the same.

Specs:

* CPU: 2x Intel Pentium D 3.40 GHz
* RAM: 1GB
* Graphics: ATI Radeon Xpress 200

Thanks,
Amit

Old 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 21:44:52 -0500

Yes, you are right it is probably tuned. So far xpdf is great, I mean
the pdfs launch a lot faster and it generally is better in performance
except for the large file described

According to pdfinfo:

Page size: 2588.16 x 1578.84 pts
File size: 3619630 bytes

Thanks,
Amit

Old 07-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:35:29 +0300
Arthur A <arthur.machlas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Neidorff wrote:
> >> Are your machines comparable processor- and RAM-wise?
> >>
> >> (sorry for not answering your actual question)
> >>
> >> - chris
> >
> > On windows acrobat preloads part of the program on boot. (It just
> > sits taking up ram waiting for you to use it) That's why it
> > appears to start much more quickly.
> >

> I think the issue isn't so much with how fast the program starts up
> (I have a hard time believing even with preload it loads faster),
> rather, it's likely more to do with the caching that adobe does in
> the background of pages you haven't yet tried to view. I suspect,
> though I honestly haven't looked into it, that adobe caches pages a
> lot more while xpdf or evince or what have you simply load it upon
> request.
>
> Perhaps this is an avenue to explore further.

Yes that is exactly what is probably going on. Because with xpdf it
takes around ~2 seconds to redraw/cache when i scroll through the
document.

I tried exploring this further and it seems like it is an issue with
the cairo backend. Compiling cairo with OpenGL support looks like a
promising approach.

http://www.cairographics.org/OpenGL/

Amit