Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 PM
andy

Default Using apt to install only one package

Hi

I am running Lenny/Testing and with the recent package updates a new set
of kernel headers was installed which has completely screwed my nVidia
driver settings. I had to reboot into 2-6-24 rather than the 2-6-25 in
order to get GDM to work.

When I went to change the sources list to enable me access the
appropriate nVidia driver from the Sid repositories using apt, there
were any number of packages that apt wanted to install as well,
alongside the nVidia.

What is the correct syntax to ensure that when I am wanting to install
the nVidia driver from Sid I limit it to *only* the package(s) I am
seeking rather than everything else that apt wants me to install? I've
spent the last 1/2 hour or Googling this and I can't find an answer.
Perhaps my search string is incorrect, but even so if anyone is able to
assist me, that would be great.

Many thanks

Andy

Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

>What is the correct syntax to ensure that when I am wanting to install
>the nVidia driver from Sid I limit it to *only* the package(s) I am
>seeking rather than everything else that apt wants me to install? I've
>spent the last 1/2 hour or Googling this and I can't find an answer.
>Perhaps my search string is incorrect, but even so if anyone is able to

>assist me, that would be great.

To install a single package just use `apt-get install package`. If it is
telling you that you need to install more packages then just that one,
it is because there are dependency issues. Apt is trying to protect you
from problems by auto-installing the dependencies.

If you absolutely know that you can install just that package alone
without breaking things, then you can also download the deb package
using wget or your browser and install via dpkg with `dpkg -i
package.deb`. However, even that has fail-safes built into it so it may
not work without the dependencies either.

I hope that answers your question. If not, please tell me what I missed.

Have fun!
Chris Stackpole

Old 07-14-2008, 07:32 PM
andy

Stackpole, Chris wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the rapid response Chris - I do appreciate that!

I don't mind installing more packages than what I had thought I needed:
I am quite happy to believe that apt knows more than I do about what is
best for my machine!!

I was just concerned that with my sources.list opened up to a Sid
repository temporarily for the purposes of this operation - to retrieve
a kernel header for the nVidia driver - that if apt downloaded and
installed a whole bunch of other packages that I would end up in the
sticky situation of having a mixed set of libraries. I have a lot of
work that I need to get on with, so the last thing I needed was an
unstable system because I'd gotten Lenny and Sid libraries all confused.
Hence my reluctance to walk down that particular road without getting a
clearer sense of what was going on.

If it is a case of allowing apt to do its thing, then who am I to argue
with that. I would like to use the 2-6-25 kernel, but to be honest am
not wedded to needing to do so, so am relaxed about proceeding cautiously.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Andy

Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

>I don't mind installing more packages than what I had thought I needed:

>I am quite happy to believe that apt knows more than I do about what is

>best for my machine!!
>
>I was just concerned that with my sources.list opened up to a Sid
>repository temporarily for the purposes of this operation - to retrieve

>a kernel header for the nVidia driver - that if apt downloaded and
>installed a whole bunch of other packages that I would end up in the
>sticky situation of having a mixed set of libraries. I have a lot of
>work that I need to get on with, so the last thing I needed was an
>unstable system because I'd gotten Lenny and Sid libraries all
confused.
>Hence my reluctance to walk down that particular road without getting a

>clearer sense of what was going on.
>
>If it is a case of allowing apt to do its thing, then who am I to argue

>with that. I would like to use the 2-6-25 kernel, but to be honest am
>not wedded to needing to do so, so am relaxed about proceeding
cautiously.

Well I can't guarantee that it will all be smooth sailing when using Sid
packages. It should work, but obviously mileage varies. You do not want
to do an apt-get upgrade or anything like that but just a simple
'apt-get install package' may work for you. I do not foresee a reason
why you would need to change your kernel or to change anything but the
dependencies required by the package being upgraded by apt-get.

I wish you the best.

Have fun!
Chris Stackpole