Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Achim Bode

Default apt-get dist-upgrade removes random packages.

Hi,

I dist-upgrade from etch to unstable. I change my sources.list,
performed a apt-get upgrade and be informed that some package will be
removed.
gallery2 concerns me in particular since it not obsolete in testing. Is
something wrong with my database or do I misunderstand something?

achim@sina: sudo apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done

---> changed the sources.list file from:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

achim@sina: sudo apt-get update
Get: 1 http://ftp.debian.org testing Release.gpg [189B]
Get: 2 http://ftp.debian.org testing Release [74.4kB]
Get: 3 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main Packages [5276kB]
Get: 4 http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free Packages [97.5kB]
Get: 5 http://ftp.debian.org testing/contrib Packages [83.5kB]
Fetched 5532kB in 25s (218kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done

achim@sina: sudo apt-get -u dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED
firefox gallery2 gimp gimp-helpbrowser gimp-print gnome gnome-office
gq gtk2-engines-spherecrystal gtoaster libcamel1.2-8 libebook1.2-5
libedataserverui1.2-6
libexchange-storage1.2-1 libglib1.2 libgnome-perl libgssapi2
libgtk-imlib-perl libgtk-perl libldap-2.2-7 libldap-2.3-0 libldap2
libnss3-0d libopal-2.2.0
liborbit0 libpci2 libperl5.8 libpt-1.10.0 libpt-plugins-alsa
libpt-plugins-v4l libsasl2 libssp0 libstlport4.6c2 libvte4 libwxgtk2.4-1
libxul0d
linux-kernel-headers modutils php4-mysql texmacs webcalendar
xserver-xorg-video-newport xulrunner-gnome-support

Thanks for any comment.

Achim

Old 07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Achim Bode wrote:

Hi,

I dist-upgrade from etch to unstable. I change my sources.list,
performed a apt-get upgrade and be informed that some package will be
removed.
gallery2 concerns me in particular since it not obsolete in testing. Is
something wrong with my database or do I misunderstand something?

<snip>

See my earlier query and the answer from Daniel Burrows: try running

aptitude -s dist-upgrade

and that will tell you much more about the reasons that removal is
suggested.

But how to avoid it is another question ;-)

Hugo

Old 07-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,14.Jul.08, 00:35:08, Achim Bode wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I dist-upgrade from etch to unstable. I change my sources.list,

Do you mean testing?

[...]

> ---> changed the sources.list file from:
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

ftp.debian.org used to be quite bad. Maybe you should switch to a mirror
like ftp.us.debian.org

> achim@sina: sudo apt-get -u dist-upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED
> firefox gallery2 gimp gimp-helpbrowser gimp-print gnome gnome-office gq
---^^^^^^^

Where did you get a firefox package? Please post your *full*
sources.list (if there is more than just Debian testing in there).
Otherwise the output of 'apt-cache policy firefox' might be interesting.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Achim Bode

Hugo wrote:

Achim Bode wrote:

Hi,

I dist-upgrade from etch to unstable. I change my sources.list,
performed a apt-get upgrade and be informed that some package will
be removed. gallery2 concerns me in particular since it not
obsolete in testing. Is something wrong with my database or do I
misunderstand something?

<snip>

See my earlier query and the answer from Daniel Burrows: try running

aptitude -s dist-upgrade

and that will tell you much more about the reasons that removal is
suggested.

But how to avoid it is another question ;-)

Hugo

thanks for this suggestion. I figured out that installing php5-mysql in
etch solved the problem. gallery2 depends on php5-mysql or php4-mysql or
some postgres drivers in etch, but php4-mysql is not available in
testing. I can see that is difficult for dist-upgrade to make a decision
for the mysql driver in gallery2 probably without knowing that php4 is
deprecated in favor of php5. So fare I did not do the dist-upgrade, but
I do not see that php4-mysql will be removed from my system.

Do you think I should file a bug, and if where?

Thanks,

Achim

Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,14.Jul.08, 19:44:21, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> > The following packages will be REMOVED
> > firefox gallery2 gimp gimp-helpbrowser gimp-print gnome gnome-office gq
> ---^^^^^^^
>
> Where did you get a firefox package? Please post your *full*
> sources.list (if there is more than just Debian testing in there).
> Otherwise the output of 'apt-cache policy firefox' might be interesting.

Forget about it. I just put some etch and lenny sources on my machine
and saw that there is a firefox package in etch. The transitional
package that pulled iceweasel. But I would still recommend you remove
any foreign packages before any upgrade.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Achim Bode wrote:

Hugo wrote:

Achim Bode wrote:

[...]

I tend to file bugs for problems that I have no workaround for. Since
you solved your problem I would not.

Hugo