Old 07-14-2008, 02:29 AM
"Sridhar M.A."

Default SCIM problem

I am currently running testing with few packages from unstable. After
upgrading yesterday (or the day before), noticed that scim has stopped
functioning. I do not get the scim window in the tray nor the keyboard
selection window pops up. When I run scim -d, I get the following ouput
:

$ scim -d
Smart Common Input Method 1.4.7

Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd...
Creating backend ...
Error: in scm_symbol_value: unbound variable: create-context

Launching a SCIM process with x11...
Creating backend ...
Error: in scm_symbol_value: unbound variable: create-context
Failed to launch SCIM.

I tried im-switch and chose the scim method for input. Then restarted X
with the same result. But, after I rebooted the machine, most of the
apps refuse to run : gnome-terminal, liferea, iceweasel, etc.
Ran im-switch and set the method to none. Now, at least, I can run
programs. Bug reports for scim were not helpful :-(

Is anyone else facing similar problems? Any pointers or remedy for this
would be greatly helpful.

Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

"I don't mind going nowhere as long as it's an interesting path."
-- Ronald Mabbitt

Old 07-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 07:59:14AM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> I am currently running testing with few packages from unstable. After
> upgrading yesterday (or the day before), noticed that scim has stopped
> functioning. I do not get the scim window in the tray nor the keyboard
> selection window pops up. When I run scim -d, I get the following ouput
> :
>
> $ scim -d
> Smart Common Input Method 1.4.7
>
> Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd...
> Creating backend ...
> Error: in scm_symbol_value: unbound variable: create-context
>
> Launching a SCIM process with x11...
> Creating backend ...
> Error: in scm_symbol_value: unbound variable: create-context
> Failed to launch SCIM.

I am part of SCIM maintainer and using SCIM from unstable for Japanese.

> I tried im-switch and chose the scim method for input. Then restarted X
> with the same result. But, after I rebooted the machine, most of the
> apps refuse to run : gnome-terminal, liferea, iceweasel, etc.
> Ran im-switch and set the method to none. Now, at least, I can run
> programs. Bug reports for scim were not helpful :-(

I think you updated with unstable while they are going through halfway
in some gnome library transition. (I am upgrading now .... let's see)

> Is anyone else facing similar problems? Any pointers or remedy for this
> would be greatly helpful.

Usually, my advice for such case are one of the following
1. wait 1 or 2 days and upgrade again
2. downgrade to testing as emmergency cure

Good luck.... Osamu

Old 07-14-2008, 04:33 PM
"Sridhar M.A."

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:15:32AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> Usually, my advice for such case are one of the following
> 1. wait 1 or 2 days and upgrade again
> 2. downgrade to testing as emmergency cure
>
> Good luck.... Osamu

Thanks for the wishes :-)

Anyway, poked around and found that removing scim-uim brought it back.

Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

Do unto others before they undo you.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:03:38PM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:15:32AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> >
> > Usually, my advice for such case are one of the following
> > 1. wait 1 or 2 days and upgrade again
> > 2. downgrade to testing as emmergency cure
> >
> > Good luck.... Osamu
>
> Thanks for the wishes :-)
>
> Anyway, poked around and found that removing scim-uim brought it back.

That package seem to needs care...

Old 07-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:33:57PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:03:38PM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:15:32AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > >
> > > Usually, my advice for such case are one of the following
> > > 1. wait 1 or 2 days and upgrade again
> > > 2. downgrade to testing as emmergency cure
> > >
> > > Good luck.... Osamu
> >
> > Thanks for the wishes :-)
> >
> > Anyway, poked around and found that removing scim-uim brought it back.
>
> That package seem to needs care...

I hope my upload fix situation.

Osamu