Old 07-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default howto find out why dist-upgrade wants to remove a package?

Hi,

Running Sid, and I don't want apt to upgrade apache or php4.

So I pinned them in /etc/apt/preferences:

Explanation: Keep apache + php4 around for WP's lists...
Package: apache
Pin: version 1.3.34
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: apache-common
Pin: version 1.3.34
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: php4-common
Pin: version 4.4.4
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: php4-mysql
Pin: version 4.4.4
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: libapache-mod-php4
Pin: version 4.4.4
Pin-Priority: 1001

But it only partly works: when I do apt-get distupgrade I get:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
fftw3 gpm libgsl0 libhd13 libldap2 librpm4 libstlport4.6c2 php4-mysql

So what I pinned to 1001 he wants to remove!

How do I find out why he wants to remove a package?

Thanks.

Hugo

Old 07-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,13.Jul.08, 16:27:53, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> How do I find out why he wants to remove a package?

Try asking aptitude:

$ aptitude why <package>

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-14-2008, 02:22 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:36:15AM +0300, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> On Sun,13.Jul.08, 16:27:53, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>
> > How do I find out why he wants to remove a package?
>
> Try asking aptitude:
>
> $ aptitude why <package>

That's unlikely to help, unless they were removed because they looked
unused. Did the dist-upgrade print anything about broken dependencies?
You could try running "aptitude -s dist-upgrade" and see what it says
and why (type "o" at the resolver prompt, if there is one, and it should
say why it wants to remove stuff, if it does).

Daniel

Old 07-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:36:15AM +0300, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> was heard to say:

How do I find out why he wants to remove a package?

Try asking aptitude:

$ aptitude why <package>

That's unlikely to help, unless they were removed because they looked
unused. Did the dist-upgrade print anything about broken dependencies?
You could try running "aptitude -s dist-upgrade" and see what it says
and why (type "o" at the resolver prompt, if there is one, and it should
say why it wants to remove stuff, if it does).

Thanks, Daniel. I should really learn aptitude. It at least clarified
things:

The following packages are BROKEN:
ghostscript libaprutil1
ghostscript: Conflicts: gs-common (< 8.62) but 0.3.13 is installed
and it is kept back.
Conflicts: gs-gpl (< 8.62) but 8.56.dfsg.1-1.1 is
installed and it is kept back.
libaprutil1: Conflicts: php4-mysql (< 6:4.4.4-10) but 6:4.4.4-8 is
installed and it is kept back.

Resolving dependencies...

Remove the following packages:
php4-mysql

Hugo

Old 07-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 06:36:07AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> was heard to say:
> The following packages are BROKEN:
> ghostscript libaprutil1
> ghostscript: Conflicts: gs-common (< 8.62) but 0.3.13 is installed and
> it is kept back.
> Conflicts: gs-gpl (< 8.62) but 8.56.dfsg.1-1.1 is
> installed and it is kept back.
> libaprutil1: Conflicts: php4-mysql (< 6:4.4.4-10) but 6:4.4.4-8 is
> installed and it is kept back.
> Resolving dependencies...
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Remove the following packages:
> php4-mysql

This isn't present in sid any more, and according to
<http://bugs.debian.org/476781>, it's because it's an obsolete package.
I see a bunch of php5 stuff in the archive, maybe you need to upgrade to
that?

Daniel

Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 06:36:07AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> was heard to say:

The following packages are BROKEN:
ghostscript libaprutil1
ghostscript: Conflicts: gs-common (< 8.62) but 0.3.13 is installed and
it is kept back.
Conflicts: gs-gpl (< 8.62) but 8.56.dfsg.1-1.1 is
installed and it is kept back.
libaprutil1: Conflicts: php4-mysql (< 6:4.4.4-10) but 6:4.4.4-8 is
installed and it is kept back.

Resolving dependencies...

Remove the following packages:
php4-mysql

This isn't present in sid any more, and according to
<http://bugs.debian.org/476781>, it's because it's an obsolete package.
I see a bunch of php5 stuff in the archive, maybe you need to upgrade to
that?

As I said before in a post, the reason for keeping php4-mysql around is
that WordPress behaves badly with the Textile 2cb plugin with php5-mysql.

I have 4 years of data in mysql with WP all using that plugin, so its
correct behavior if sortof important.

It may be obsolete, but its replacement causes problems for that plugin,
which is no longer supported BTW.

In the meanwhile aptitude keeps insisting on removing that package no
matter what I pin preferences to :-(

Hugo

Old 07-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 09:45:04AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> was heard to say:
> Daniel Burrows wrote:
>> This isn't present in sid any more, and according to
>> <http://bugs.debian.org/476781>, it's because it's an obsolete package.
>> I see a bunch of php5 stuff in the archive, maybe you need to upgrade to
>> that?
>>

> As I said before in a post, the reason for keeping php4-mysql around is
> that WordPress behaves badly with the Textile 2cb plugin with php5-mysql.
>
> I have 4 years of data in mysql with WP all using that plugin, so its
> correct behavior if sortof important.
>
> It may be obsolete, but its replacement causes problems for that plugin,
> which is no longer supported BTW.

I would suggest that you look into your options for migrating off of
that plugin then -- you might be able to hold off upgrading for another
6 months or a year, but eventually something will happen (e.g., a major
security hole in php4) that makes staying with the

Of course, you probably know that already. :-)

> In the meanwhile aptitude keeps insisting on removing that package no
> matter what I pin preferences to :-(

Yes, pins just pick the version that "install" targets; they don't
affect the resolver's judgment. You might be able to get some help from
putting the package on hold; however, that just makes the resolver less
likely to remove it. Eventually the number of packages held back by
that one package will pile up to the point that it can't stand the
pressure any more and it decides to remove it. Hmm, if you don't mind
making it strict for all held packages, you could set
Aptitude::ProblemResolver::BreakHoldScore to an absurdly low value (say,
-100000). That would probably do the trick.

This is giving me an idea, though: it would probably be handy for
users if they could set scores and resolver hints (rejects/accepts) up
from the configuration file. Maybe I'll take a look at that when I have
some free time and stick it in the post-lenny branch. Unlike some
interesting ideas that I get, this one should be pretty trivial to
implement.

Daniel

Old 07-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 09:45:04AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> It may be obsolete, but its replacement causes problems for that plugin,
> which is no longer supported BTW.
>
> In the meanwhile aptitude keeps insisting on removing that package no
> matter what I pin preferences to :-(

If this is your objective, pin is wrong long term solution if you want
to run newer distribution. You should create chroot and run old
distribution within it just for mysql.

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch10.en.html#thechroot

Osamu

Old 07-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Daniel Burrows wrote:

[...]

Funny: when I put php4-mysql on hold aptitude keeps *everything* back!

You're right of course, about this being untenable. But the prospect of
becoming the plugin maintainer... I don't know.

Hugo

Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:43:22AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> was heard to say:
> Funny: when I put php4-mysql on hold aptitude keeps *everything* back!
>
> You're right of course, about this being untenable. But the prospect of
> becoming the plugin maintainer... I don't know.

I don't know what upgrade you're looking at -- it's entirely possible
that the only upgrades you have available depend on php4-mysql being
removed.

Daniel