Old 07-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default howto find out why dist-upgrade wants to remove a package?

Osamu Aoki wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 09:45:04AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
It may be obsolete, but its replacement causes problems for that plugin,
which is no longer supported BTW.

In the meanwhile aptitude keeps insisting on removing that package no
matter what I pin preferences to :-(

If this is your objective, pin is wrong long term solution if you want
to run newer distribution. You should create chroot and run old
distribution within it just for mysql.

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch10.en.html#thechroot

Very complicated to run mysql-server, apache and WordPress in chroot and
the rest, including the rest of X, not.

Hugo

Old 07-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Hugo Vanwoerkom escreveu:
Very complicated to run mysql-server, apache and WordPress in chroot
and the rest, including the rest of X, not.

It might be complicated. It doesn't seem so, but I've never tried, so I
might be wrong.

But not because of X, I'd say. None of those three components depend on
X, so they can be isolated in the chroot.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom escreveu:
Very complicated to run mysql-server, apache and WordPress in chroot
and the rest, including the rest of X, not.

It might be complicated. It doesn't seem so, but I've never tried, so I
might be wrong.

But not because of X, I'd say. None of those three components depend on
X, so they can be isolated in the chroot.

WordPress is a blog, it needs X, all the formatting is for X.

Hugo

Old 07-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Hugo Vanwoerkom escreveu:

WordPress is a blog, it needs X, all the formatting is for X.

Actually, Wordpress in Debian requires the GD library (I'm not sure if
this is a requirement upstream, or just a recommendation, but this does
not matter now), which in turn requires some X libraries.

One will not need a full X system, just some X libraries, but I agree
this is quite unfortunate just for a Web application, which by itself
should need nothing of X.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:08 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:50:39AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> was heard to say:
> Osamu Aoki wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 09:45:04AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>> It may be obsolete, but its replacement causes problems for that
>>> plugin, which is no longer supported BTW.
>>>
>>> In the meanwhile aptitude keeps insisting on removing that package no
>>> matter what I pin preferences to :-(
>>
>> If this is your objective, pin is wrong long term solution if you want
>> to run newer distribution. You should create chroot and run old
>> distribution within it just for mysql.
>>
>> http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch10.en.html#thechroot
>>

> Very complicated to run mysql-server, apache and WordPress in chroot and
> the rest, including the rest of X, not.

You probably only need to run the bits that need php4-mysql in the
chroot. I think that would be WordPress and maybe apache (unless you
can tell apache to chroot before spawning the php module). MySQL
connects over a standard network socket, so WordPress can access it
regardless of whether it's chrooted or not.

Disclaimer: I have never run WordPress on my computer and I know very
little about PHP or MySQL.

Daniel