Old 12-14-2007, 03:16 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default Preferred Backup Method?

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 10:53:05AM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2007, at 6:40 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > It is BSD not Linux. Linux is a bit of SysV and a bit of BSD.
> > Permission of files inherit a bit of the directory they're in (I
> > forget the details). Initscrips are rc NOT SysV. If you add a
> > package you have to write the initscript snippet.
>
> Although FreeBSD has started to include a sort of "mini-SysV" setup,
> in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. You can put a script in there and it will be
> run with "start" as the argument when the system boots, and "stop"
> with the argument when it shuts down. This is a little bit nicer
> than /etc/rc.local for stuff you need to shut down gracefully.
>
> I don't know if this has made it into OpenBSD or not.

No. There's a fundamental difference between FreeBSD and OpenBSD.
FreeBSD seems to have an attitude to Linux as Linux has to Windows. Try
to be like them and convert users by making configs easy. OpenBSD does
nothing to convert users; it doesn't care about users. Its by
developers for developers. Developers can write their own rc.local
snippet. There's also an aversion to adding layers which add complexity
to something. Adding daemons to an OpenBSD box happens rarely, why
compicate every boot process?

NetBSD has the rcorder script where the order of initscripts is
calculated at each boot based on hints in each file. It may have been
from FreeBSD or not; I don't know.

Doug.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:00 PM
David Brodbeck