-   -   Anything better than gopchop... (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/124108-anything-better-than-gopchop.html)

Ron Johnson 07-13-2008 07:51 PM

Anything better than gopchop...

Bob Cox 07-13-2008 08:25 PM

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 14:51:32 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> ... for snipping sections of video from an mpeg2 file?
>
> gopchop seems to be dead upstream, and I can't find any way to
> pause, move forward/backwards at sub-1x speeds or frame-by-frame.

Hi Ron

You may find avidemux worth looking at. It works very well for me.

Ron Johnson 07-13-2008 09:56 PM

Anything better than gopchop...

"j t" 07-13-2008 10:00 PM

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 14:51:32 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:
>
>> ... for snipping sections of video from an mpeg2 file?
>>
>> gopchop seems to be dead upstream, and I can't find any way to
>> pause, move forward/backwards at sub-1x speeds or frame-by-frame.

I use ProjectX (it's the best thing I've found for automatically
resynching the out-of-synch video/audio streams that come out of my
adaptec avc-2210 usb mpeg2 encoder). You will, however, need to
install a java runtime to make it work...

HTH, Jaime

Ron Johnson 07-14-2008 02:55 AM

Anything better than gopchop...

Bob Cox 07-14-2008 06:20 AM

Anything better than gopchop...

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 21:55:23 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

[re avidemux]

> It works, and lets me chop out exactly what I want (thanks!!), but
> during playback there are blocky artifacts at the points where I
> deleted frames.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

So long as the edit point is a "keyframe" (selected using the "<<" and
">>" buttons) then IME the edit will be clean.

Carl Fink 07-14-2008 11:49 AM

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 07:20:34AM +0100, Bob Cox wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 21:55:23 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:
>
> [re avidemux]
>
> > It works, and lets me chop out exactly what I want (thanks!!), but
> > during playback there are blocky artifacts at the points where I
> > deleted frames.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong?
>
> So long as the edit point is a "keyframe" (selected using the "<<" and
> ">>" buttons) then IME the edit will be clean.

If that's a problem, convert the video to MJPEG format. In MJPEG every
frame is a keyframe. Of course the file will be huge.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!