Old 07-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Bob Cox

Default iw2 vs iw3 performance

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 14:20:03 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom (hvw59601@care2.com) wrote:

> If you go to this page:
>
> http://shame.tuxfamily.org/repo/?cat=1
>
> and scroll up and down the page, you will notice that in iw3 CPU busy
> hits over 90%, while in iw2 it does *not*.

I'm sorry Hugo, but I cannot get firefox-bin to go much over 5%,
although Xorg was nearly at 50% while scrolling very quickly up and
down.

bob@trantor:~$ uname -a
Linux trantor 2.6.24-1-686 #1 SMP Thu May 8 02:16:39 UTC 2008 i686
GNU/Linux

Iceweasel 3.0~rc2-2

Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Bob Cox wrote:
and scroll up and down the page, you will notice that in iw3 CPU busy
hits over 90%, while in iw2 it does *not*.

I'm sorry Hugo, but I cannot get firefox-bin to go much over 5%,
although Xorg was nearly at 50% while scrolling very quickly up and
down.

Interesting. It could be the difference in our graphic cards: I am doing
this with an old one: GeForce4 MX 4000.

Thanks.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Bob Cox

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 15:07:39 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom (hvw59601@care2.com) wrote:

> Bob Cox wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 14:20:03 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom
>> (hvw59601@care2.com) wrote:
>>
>>> If you go to this page:
>>>
>>> http://shame.tuxfamily.org/repo/?cat=1
>>>
>>> and scroll up and down the page, you will notice that in iw3 CPU busy
>>> hits over 90%, while in iw2 it does *not*.
>>
>> I'm sorry Hugo, but I cannot get firefox-bin to go much over 5%,
>> although Xorg was nearly at 50% while scrolling very quickly up and
>> down.
>>

> Interesting. It could be the difference in our graphic cards: I am doing
> this with an old one: GeForce4 MX 4000.
> Thanks.

Mine isn't exactly new ;-)

It's a GeForce FX5200 128MB and I'm using the nvidia rather than nv
driver.