Old 07-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default i386 or amd64?

Hi,

I am about to buy the mobo that Doug Tutty has: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe,
albeit with a more moderate AM2 processor: AMD Athlon X2 4050e 2.1GHz
45W 65nm Dual-Core.

Question I have is what do I run on it, I would prefer restoring a
current i386 system on it and then go on from there.

So I found this:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/07/msg00311.html

which lists 6 options:

1) Install i386 version and use that using 32bit kernel.
2) Install amd64 version and use that.
3) Install i386 with amd64 kernel package (i386 sarge includes that) and
amd64-libs to allow running some 64bit programs and most 32bit

(iptables/alsa-utils and other things that talk to some kernel
interfaces have to be 64bit when used with a 64bit kernel I believe).
4) Install amd64 version and ia32-libs to allow running some 32bit
programs and all 64bit.
5) Install i386 with an amd64 kernel package and a 64bit chroot to play
with full 64bit stuff in. (I use this one at the moment).
6) Install amd64 with a i386 chroot to run 32bit packages in.

I would prefer 1) but how does one do that?

Hugo

Old 07-13-2008, 03:11 PM
"Nuno Magalh„es"

I have an Asus mobo with an Athlon64, so i installed amd64. If you
wanna keep i386 stuff maybe have a chroot for the only-32bit (nonfree)
stuff?

--
Nuno Magalh„es

Old 07-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

Just install with the i386 disk. The CPU will detect that 32-bit
binaries want to boot, and will switch the system into 32-bit mode.

Could I boot with the mondo restore DVD that has been created with the
i386 system?

Old 07-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Nuno Magalh„es wrote:

I have an Asus mobo with an Athlon64, so i installed amd64. If you
wanna keep i386 stuff maybe have a chroot for the only-32bit (nonfree)
stuff?

I could do that later, but I want to start off with pure i386 that I
already have. I am on a dialup modem and installing takes 3 days or so.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:29 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Sunday 13 July 2008 11:05:46 am you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to buy the mobo that Doug Tutty has: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe,
> albeit with a more moderate AM2 processor: AMD Athlon X2 4050e 2.1GHz
> 45W 65nm Dual-Core.
>
> Question I have is what do I run on it, I would prefer restoring a
> current i386 system on it and then go on from there.
>
> So I found this:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/07/msg00311.html
>
> which lists 6 options:
>
> 1) Install i386 version and use that using 32bit kernel.
> 2) Install amd64 version and use that.
> 3) Install i386 with amd64 kernel package (i386 sarge includes that) and
> amd64-libs to allow running some 64bit programs and most 32bit
> (iptables/alsa-utils and other things that talk to some kernel
> interfaces have to be 64bit when used with a 64bit kernel I believe).
> 4) Install amd64 version and ia32-libs to allow running some 32bit
> programs and all 64bit.
> 5) Install i386 with an amd64 kernel package and a 64bit chroot to play
> with full 64bit stuff in. (I use this one at the moment).
> 6) Install amd64 with a i386 chroot to run 32bit packages in.
>
> I would prefer 1) but how does one do that?
>
> Hugo

Hugo,

go here: http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/ look at the links for the archs,
select i386. Install. You are done.

Note: I do not understand the reluctance of not using a 64bit OS at this
time. I do hear that java/flash are not yet fully working on 64bit, but I
don't ever see any issues with it. I do not code, perhaps this is where
people see problems with it? I don't know. I run iceweasel/FF, have
non-free flash, swfdec-mozilla, and I install Sun JRE (allthough right now I
am using default-JRE as Sun is not installable for me in Sid as of
yesterday).

For just browsing the web and doing web things, this has worked for at least a
year, maybe two.

Just my two cents. Get the installer image for i386 and that will be a 32bit
OS.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 07-13-2008, 03:35 PM
"David Fox"

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to buy the mobo that Doug Tutty has: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, albeit
> with a more moderate AM2 processor: AMD Athlon X2 4050e 2.1GHz 45W 65nm
> Dual-Core.

You should be able to keep the current installation and run everything
32-bit, but as a recent convert to amd64 (here, an ecs 6100-pm-m
motherboard, I elected to switch to ubuntu amd64. Partly due to a
disk provisioning problem and a little lack of foresight, I suppose -
my oldest and most smallest disk on lenny was an old 1.6 gig maxtor,
and it held /var, and there simply wasn't enough room (or ide headers)
to put all 3 ide drives in, plus 2 new sata devices.

For the stuff that I do, amd64 works better. Most everything is 64
bit, but of course there are those things that are only available in
32-bit user space. Fortunately, I've found that they all run fine with
the intel32 lib packages installed, and there's little reason if any
to set up a chroot. Not that I've found, anyway.

And, I paid for the extra bits, so why not use them?

> Question I have is what do I run on it, I would prefer restoring a current
> i386 system on it and then go on from there.

You could - what prevents you from booting off your existing media?

Old 07-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

[...]

<snip>
The only reluctance is time: to get an i386 system off the ground I just
restore, to get an amd64 system installed takes 3 days because I am on a
dialup modem.

Hugo

Old 07-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

David Fox wrote:

[...]

Nothing: that is what I would do: boot with the mondo restore DVD and
install the SATA disk that I have in the i386 system.

Hugo

Old 07-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Ron Johnson