Old 07-13-2008, 02:47 PM
AJ Milne

Default Has anyone seen this? Openoffice 2.4.1 disappears after its splash screen

... no errors in the console if I run it from there instead.

Particulars: I'm running lenny, x86_64 binaries, the 2.6.24 kernel, and KDE. I tried installing the KDE integration package, uninstalling the whole thing, reinstalling (twice), got the same symptoms. Running from the KDE launcher or the console, I get the same thing. Running calc or writer, same thing. Splash screen appears, progress bar zips to full, then nothing. Tried removing the user settings after reinstall (~/.openoffice.org2), same thing.

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere; I searched, didn't see it.

Helpful information even if you *haven't* seen this: does OpenOffice log its errors somewhere? I haven't been able to find them. The only logging in /var/log/* appears to be from installs/uninstalls/reinstalls.

--
AJ Milne
http://accidentalweblog.org/

Old 07-13-2008, 02:59 PM
AJ Milne

... and to clarify, when I say 'no errors', I mean it doesn't report any errors. Just fails silently. But it still doesn't start. Splash screen, then nothing.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:47:40 -0400
AJ Milne <ajmilne@well.com> wrote:

> ... no errors in the console if I run it from there instead.
>
> Particulars: I'm running lenny, x86_64 binaries, the 2.6.24 kernel, and KDE. I tried installing the KDE integration package, uninstalling the whole thing, reinstalling (twice), got the same symptoms. Running from the KDE launcher or the console, I get the same thing. Running calc or writer, same thing. Splash screen appears, progress bar zips to full, then nothing. Tried removing the user settings after reinstall (~/.openoffice.org2), same thing.
>
> Apologies if this has been covered somewhere; I searched, didn't see it.
>
> Helpful information even if you *haven't* seen this: does OpenOffice log its errors somewhere? I haven't been able to find them. The only logging in /var/log/* appears to be from installs/uninstalls/reinstalls.
>
> --
> AJ Milne
> http://accidentalweblog.org/

AJ Milne
http://accidentalweblog.org/

Old 07-13-2008, 03:16 PM
"Nuno Magalh„es"

Have you checked ps -A?

--
Nuno Magalh„es

Old 07-13-2008, 04:57 PM
AJ Milne

Yeah. Process isn't there. Goes away pretty much instantly.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:25 PM
AJ Milne

Thanks; good suggestion. There's a segfault in there... working on it
now. Looks like it might be choking on a font metrics file.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:03:25 +0200
Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

> [ Please try to wrap your lines at 72-80 characters. ]
>
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 10:47:40 -0400, AJ Milne wrote:
> > ... no errors in the console if I run it from there instead.
> >
> > Particulars: I'm running lenny, x86_64 binaries, the 2.6.24 kernel,
> > and KDE. I tried installing the KDE integration package, uninstalling
> > the whole thing, reinstalling (twice), got the same symptoms. Running
> > from the KDE launcher or the console, I get the same thing. Running
> > calc or writer, same thing. Splash screen appears, progress bar zips
> > to full, then nothing. Tried removing the user settings after
> > reinstall (~/.openoffice.org2), same thing.
> >
> > Apologies if this has been covered somewhere; I searched, didn't see it.
> >
> > Helpful information even if you *haven't* seen this: does OpenOffice
> > log its errors somewhere? I haven't been able to find them. The only
> > logging in /var/log/* appears to be from
> > installs/uninstalls/reinstalls.
>
> You can have a look at ~/.xsession-errors, but I am not too optimistic
> about this since you do not even get any error message when you start
> the program directly from the command line.
>
> It may help to use strace on the program like this:
>
> strace -f -o oo-strace.txt ooffice
>
> This will log all system calls in the file oo-strace.txt. The strace
> file will be too long to be posted here, but maybe you can upload it
> somewhere so that we can have a look. If that is not possible then you
> can post the just end of the file, the last 50 lines or something like
> that. (run "tail -n50 oo-strace.txt")
>
> --
> Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
> Florian |

AJ Milne
http://accidentalweblog.org/

Old 07-13-2008, 06:30 PM
AJ Milne

Confirming: that was it; was choking on a specific type 1 font.
Not sure why, but for now, I'm leaving it out of the active
fonts; might look into it more a bit later.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:03:25 +0200
Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

> [ Please try to wrap your lines at 72-80 characters. ]
>
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 10:47:40 -0400, AJ Milne wrote:
> > ... no errors in the console if I run it from there instead.
> >
> > Particulars: I'm running lenny, x86_64 binaries, the 2.6.24 kernel,
> > and KDE. I tried installing the KDE integration package, uninstalling
> > the whole thing, reinstalling (twice), got the same symptoms. Running
> > from the KDE launcher or the console, I get the same thing. Running
> > calc or writer, same thing. Splash screen appears, progress bar zips
> > to full, then nothing. Tried removing the user settings after
> > reinstall (~/.openoffice.org2), same thing.
> >
> > Apologies if this has been covered somewhere; I searched, didn't see it.
> >
> > Helpful information even if you *haven't* seen this: does OpenOffice
> > log its errors somewhere? I haven't been able to find them. The only
> > logging in /var/log/* appears to be from
> > installs/uninstalls/reinstalls.
>
> You can have a look at ~/.xsession-errors, but I am not too optimistic
> about this since you do not even get any error message when you start
> the program directly from the command line.
>
> It may help to use strace on the program like this:
>
> strace -f -o oo-strace.txt ooffice
>
> This will log all system calls in the file oo-strace.txt. The strace
> file will be too long to be posted here, but maybe you can upload it
> somewhere so that we can have a look. If that is not possible then you
> can post the just end of the file, the last 50 lines or something like
> that. (run "tail -n50 oo-strace.txt")
>
> --
> Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
> Florian |

AJ Milne
http://accidentalweblog.org/

Old 07-13-2008, 06:31 PM
AJ Milne

.. oh: specifically, it was the ootrace method that turned up
the issue. Didn't check xsession errors.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:30:23 -0400
AJ Milne <ajmilne@well.com> wrote:

> Confirming: that was it; was choking on a specific type 1 font.
> Not sure why, but for now, I'm leaving it out of the active
> fonts; might look into it more a bit later.
>
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:03:25 +0200
> Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
>
> > [ Please try to wrap your lines at 72-80 characters. ]
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 10:47:40 -0400, AJ Milne wrote:
> > > ... no errors in the console if I run it from there instead.
> > >
> > > Particulars: I'm running lenny, x86_64 binaries, the 2.6.24 kernel,
> > > and KDE. I tried installing the KDE integration package, uninstalling
> > > the whole thing, reinstalling (twice), got the same symptoms. Running
> > > from the KDE launcher or the console, I get the same thing. Running
> > > calc or writer, same thing. Splash screen appears, progress bar zips
> > > to full, then nothing. Tried removing the user settings after
> > > reinstall (~/.openoffice.org2), same thing.
> > >
> > > Apologies if this has been covered somewhere; I searched, didn't see it.
> > >
> > > Helpful information even if you *haven't* seen this: does OpenOffice
> > > log its errors somewhere? I haven't been able to find them. The only
> > > logging in /var/log/* appears to be from
> > > installs/uninstalls/reinstalls.
> >
> > You can have a look at ~/.xsession-errors, but I am not too optimistic
> > about this since you do not even get any error message when you start
> > the program directly from the command line.
> >
> > It may help to use strace on the program like this:
> >
> > strace -f -o oo-strace.txt ooffice
> >
> > This will log all system calls in the file oo-strace.txt. The strace
> > file will be too long to be posted here, but maybe you can upload it
> > somewhere so that we can have a look. If that is not possible then you
> > can post the just end of the file, the last 50 lines or something like
> > that. (run "tail -n50 oo-strace.txt")
> >
> > --
> > Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
> > Florian |