Old 07-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Alex Samad

Default JRE which openjdk & gcj

Hi

I have noticed that openjdk has made it into the repo's. Wondering what
people thoughts where on

openjdk, gij and gcj ?

Seems like we have lots of choice, and there might be a chance to see a
64B browser plugin now, but how ready are they to use in production.

My understand is gcj and the classpath libraries are still a bit wanting

--
"I wish you would have given me this written question ahead of time, so I could plan for it. (Laughter.) John, I'm sure historians will look back and say, gosh, he could have done it better this way, or that way. You know, I just -- I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, with all the pressure of trying to come up with an answer, but it hadn't yet."

- George W. Bush
04/03/2004
Washington, DC
after being asked to name the biggest mistake he had made

Old 07-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 08:02:05AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have noticed that openjdk has made it into the repo's. Wondering what
> people thoughts where on
>
> openjdk, gij and gcj ?
>

> Seems like we have lots of choice, and there might be a chance to see a
> 64B browser plugin now, but how ready are they to use in production.
>
> My understand is gcj and the classpath libraries are still a bit wanting

I ran into a problem the other day... my current class sort of
requires the use of Eclipse, okay that's fine, though it's no emacs
;-P.

Anyway, in sid currently, installing eclipse pulls in gcj and uses
that as the default. THe problem? no Scanner... wtf? why won't my code
work at home when it will at school? long story short, sun-java6-jdk
works great.

very very much .02

Old 07-14-2008, 06:59 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Monday 14 July 2008 02:47:06 pm Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 08:02:05AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have noticed that openjdk has made it into the repo's. Wondering what
> > people thoughts where on
> >
> > openjdk, gij and gcj ?
> >

> > Seems like we have lots of choice, and there might be a chance to see a
> > 64B browser plugin now, but how ready are they to use in production.
> >
> > My understand is gcj and the classpath libraries are still a bit wanting
>
> I ran into a problem the other day... my current class sort of
> requires the use of Eclipse, okay that's fine, though it's no emacs
> ;-P.
>
> Anyway, in sid currently, installing eclipse pulls in gcj and uses
> that as the default. THe problem? no Scanner... wtf? why won't my code
> work at home when it will at school? long story short, sun-java6-jdk
> works great.
>
> very very much .02

I do not follow or understand all the development, GPL and Java. However,
when ever possible, I install Sun-java. It works. gcj does not always work.
Why? I don't know. If Java is open, then when does not the open java work?
Beats me.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 07-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 02:59:00PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On Monday 14 July 2008 02:47:06 pm Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 08:02:05AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have noticed that openjdk has made it into the repo's. Wondering what
> > > people thoughts where on
> > >
> > > openjdk, gij and gcj ?
> > >

> > > Seems like we have lots of choice, and there might be a chance to see a
> > > 64B browser plugin now, but how ready are they to use in production.
> > >
> > > My understand is gcj and the classpath libraries are still a bit wanting
> >
> > I ran into a problem the other day... my current class sort of
> > requires the use of Eclipse, okay that's fine, though it's no emacs
> > ;-P.
> >
> > Anyway, in sid currently, installing eclipse pulls in gcj and uses
> > that as the default. THe problem? no Scanner... wtf? why won't my code
> > work at home when it will at school? long story short, sun-java6-jdk
> > works great.
> >
> > very very much .02

> I do not follow or understand all the development, GPL and Java. However,
> when ever possible, I install Sun-java. It works. gcj does not always work.
> Why? I don't know. If Java is open, then when does not the open java work?
> Beats me.
My synopsis of the issue is java is more than just the compiler, its the
compiler plus the base libraries it gcj case that is classpath, class
path is aiming for 1.4 (I think) compatibility and it is missing some
fundamental classes, but remember gcj is opensource, volunteer work. and
it is gij & gcj, one a interpreter and the other a compiler. OpenJDK is
redhat backed open source jdk/jre - it seems to have a more full class
library and they are going for jdk 5 (or 6?) compliance and have
recently passed some certification level

I haven't used openjdk and I used gcj a while back (its installed but I
default to the sun implementation) there is also the ibm version and
bea's versions

Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Monday 14 July 2008 05:26:14 pm Alex Samad wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 02:59:00PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:

> > > I ran into a problem the other day... my current class sort of
> > > requires the use of Eclipse, okay that's fine, though it's no emacs
> > > ;-P.
> > >
> > > Anyway, in sid currently, installing eclipse pulls in gcj and uses
> > > that as the default. THe problem? no Scanner... wtf? why won't my code
> > > work at home when it will at school? long story short, sun-java6-jdk
> > > works great.
> > >
> > > very very much .02

> > I do not follow or understand all the development, GPL and Java.
> > However, when ever possible, I install Sun-java. It works. gcj does not
> > always work. Why? I don't know. If Java is open, then when does not the
> > open java work? Beats me.
>
> My synopsis of the issue is java is more than just the compiler, its the
> compiler plus the base libraries it gcj case that is classpath, class
> path is aiming for 1.4 (I think) compatibility and it is missing some
> fundamental classes, but remember gcj is opensource, volunteer work. and
> it is gij & gcj, one a interpreter and the other a compiler. OpenJDK is
> redhat backed open source jdk/jre - it seems to have a more full class
> library and they are going for jdk 5 (or 6?) compliance and have
> recently passed some certification level
>
> I haven't used openjdk and I used gcj a while back (its installed but I
> default to the sun implementation) there is also the ibm version and
> bea's versions

Thanks! Very informative.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:35:55PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On Monday 14 July 2008 05:26:14 pm Alex Samad wrote:

> > I haven't used openjdk and I used gcj a while back (its installed but I
> > default to the sun implementation) there is also the ibm version and
> > bea's versions

with sun-java fully open now, it will be interesting to watch what
happens. Will gcj continue, pulling code from sun-java, or will the
gcj people accept sun-java and allow gcj to just die.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:06 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 02:17:55 pm Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:35:55PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:

> > > I haven't used openjdk and I used gcj a while back (its installed but I
> > > default to the sun implementation) there is also the ibm version and
> > > bea's versions
>
> with sun-java fully open now, it will be interesting to watch what
> happens. Will gcj continue, pulling code from sun-java, or will the
> gcj people accept sun-java and allow gcj to just die.

I have been wondering about that. And that is also the reason why I am
confused by *java* in Linux. Sun-java is GPL IFAIK.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 03:06:08PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 July 2008 02:17:55 pm Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > with sun-java fully open now, it will be interesting to watch what
> > happens. Will gcj continue, pulling code from sun-java, or will the
> > gcj people accept sun-java and allow gcj to just die.

> I have been wondering about that. And that is also the reason why I am
> confused by *java* in Linux. Sun-java is GPL IFAIK.

well, it wasn't DFSG free for a long time. hence the competing
platforms for java.

http://www.sun.com/2006-1113/feature/story.jsp

Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Alex Samad

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:17:55AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:35:55PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:

> > > I haven't used openjdk and I used gcj a while back (its installed but I
> > > default to the sun implementation) there is also the ibm version and
> > > bea's versions
>
> with sun-java fully open now, it will be interesting to watch what
> happens. Will gcj continue, pulling code from sun-java, or will the
> gcj people accept sun-java and allow gcj to just die.

I think you are mixing up gij and java - both virtual machines. gcj
takes java and produces executables - compiles to native code.

--
"Your stupidity, Allen, is simply not up to par."
-- Dave Mack (mack@inco.UUCP)

"Yours is."
-- Allen Gwinn (allen@sulaco.sigma.com), in alt.flame

Old 07-16-2008, 05:20 AM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 09:00:41 pm Alex Samad wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:17:55AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > with sun-java fully open now, it will be interesting to watch what
> > happens. Will gcj continue, pulling code from sun-java, or will the
> > gcj people accept sun-java and allow gcj to just die.

> I think you are mixing up gij and java - both virtual machines. gcj
> takes java and produces executables - compiles to native code.

LOL, yes, I am sure I am. The entire Linux Java thing confuses me, it goes
back to the bad old Blackdown days. I never could figure out what I wanted.