Old 07-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Shachar Or

Default aptitude -F %t anomaly

Heyas!

Can anyone explain to me why 'aptitude -F %t search ~nwireless-tools', when
run in etch, prints only etch-backports and not stable,etch-backports or
something similar?

Peace!
--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 07-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:57:26AM +0300, Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> was heard to say:
> Can anyone explain to me why 'aptitude -F %t search ~nwireless-tools', when
> run in etch, prints only etch-backports and not stable,etch-backports or
> something similar?

I believe %t outputs the archive of the candidate version of the
package.

Daniel

Old 07-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Shachar Or

On Sunday 13 July 2008 02:20, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:57:26AM +0300, Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com>
was heard to say:
> > Can anyone explain to me why 'aptitude -F %t search ~nwireless-tools',
> > when run in etch, prints only etch-backports and not
> > stable,etch-backports or something similar?
>
> I believe %t outputs the archive of the candidate version of the
> package.

If 'candidate' means 'the version that'll be installed by an aptitude upgrade'
then this isn't the case because I run aptitude upgrade and this package
stays at it's current version.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 07-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 03:04:44AM +0300, Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> was heard to say:
> If 'candidate' means 'the version that'll be installed by an aptitude upgrade'
> then this isn't the case because I run aptitude upgrade and this package
> stays at it's current version.

Yeah, from the code it looks like "search" picks a version
semi-randomly (the first one in the apt cache file).

Daniel