Old 07-12-2008, 09:38 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Cannot mkdir nested directories

For some odd reason, the ability to create nested directories has
stopped working, but I can create single directories:

hardy@hardy-laptop:~$ mkdir hello/world
mkdir: cannot create directory `hello/world': No such file or directory
hardy@hardy-laptop:~$ mkdir hello
hardy@hardy-laptop:~$ cd hello/
hardy@hardy-laptop:~/hello$ mkdir world
hardy@hardy-laptop:~/hello$ ls
world
hardy@hardy-laptop:~/hello$

This _did_ work just yesterday! I did shutdown and reboot to no avail.
How can I fix this? Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-12-2008, 09:41 AM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Old 07-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Saturday 12 July 2008 11:38:14 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> For some odd reason, the ability to create nested directories has
> stopped working, but I can create single directories:
>
> hardy@hardy-laptop:~$ mkdir hello/world
> mkdir: cannot create directory `hello/world': No such file or directory
> hardy@hardy-laptop:~$ mkdir hello
> hardy@hardy-laptop:~$ cd hello/
> hardy@hardy-laptop:~/hello$ mkdir world
> hardy@hardy-laptop:~/hello$ ls
> world
> hardy@hardy-laptop:~/hello$
>
> This _did_ work just yesterday! I did shutdown and reboot to no avail.
> How can I fix this? Thanks in advance.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

man mkdir says to use -p

Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/7/12 Eugene V. Lyubimkin <jackyf.devel@gmail.com>:
> You missed -p option.

Sorry, I missed that. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-12-2008, 10:18 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/7/12 Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr>:
> man mkdir says to use -p

Thanks. Believe it or not, I _did_ read man mkdir, but that did not
jump out at me. Sorry for the noise.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Saturday 12 July 2008 12:18:09 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/7/12 Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr>:
> > man mkdir says to use -p
>
> Thanks. Believe it or not, I _did_ read man mkdir, but that did not
> jump out at me. Sorry for the noise.

I believe you. If I had not none it, I would not have understood the
explanation in man!!