Old 07-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Bret Busby

Default Firefox not showing in Applications menus

Hello.

I have Firefox installed on my system (Debian 4.0), and today an update
for firefox showed, and was installed using the system update system.

With the recent problems with Iceape, I thought that I would try
Firefox.

Synaptic shows that I have Firefox 2.0.0.15 installed, but I can't find
it in the Applications menus.

I have looked in both the top level Internet menu, and in the
Debian->Apps->Net menu, and in the Office menu (in case it got inserted
in there), and the Other menu, but I cannot find Firefox.

How do I run Firefox, if I cannot find it, and, why, when it is
installed, and, updated by the orange star icon that shows updates are
available, does it not appear in the Applications menus?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..

Old 07-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Bret Busby wrote:

Hello.

I have Firefox installed on my system (Debian 4.0), and today an update
for firefox showed, and was installed using the system update system.

With the recent problems with Iceape, I thought that I would try Firefox.

Synaptic shows that I have Firefox 2.0.0.15 installed, but I can't find
it in the Applications menus.

I have looked in both the top level Internet menu, and in the
Debian->Apps->Net menu, and in the Office menu (in case it got inserted
in there), and the Other menu, but I cannot find Firefox.

How do I run Firefox, if I cannot find it, and, why, when it is
installed, and, updated by the orange star icon that shows updates are
available, does it not appear in the Applications menus?

You really mean FF or iceweasel?

hugo@debian:~$ which firefox
/usr/bin/firefox
hugo@debian:~$ which iceweasel
/usr/bin/iceweasel

Try:
update-menus

Hugo

Old 07-12-2008, 10:59 PM
"Adrian Levi"

2008/7/12 Bret Busby <bret@busby.net>:

> Hello.
>
> I have Firefox installed on my system (Debian 4.0), and today an update for
> firefox showed, and was installed using the system update system.
>
> With the recent problems with Iceape, I thought that I would try Firefox.
>
> Synaptic shows that I have Firefox 2.0.0.15 installed, but I can't find it
> in the Applications menus.

Can you open a term type
shellprompt$ firefox &

What happens?
does
shellprompt$ which firefox
return anything?

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:40 AM
Bret Busby

[...]

Firstly, I have (or, I understood that I have) both Firefox and
Iceweasel installed. I wanted to try Firefox (separate to Iceape and
Iceweasel), to find whether it had greater stability and security than
Iceape and Iceweasel.

I was also (in addition to the response above) sent the following
instructions, off-list:

1 -you need to find firefox path , just type this command :

locate firefox

then u will get somthing like :

/usr/bin/firefox

2- you have to edit menu by :

right-click on Applications then select Edit Menus

It kind of worked....

When I did the locate firefox command, it gave an interesting response. The response had groups of about four lines, with dates in the text. None of the

I then used the alacarte menu editor (the only way that I found, of editing the menus - remember, this is Debian 4.0), and manually inserted Firefox as an
entry, with the invocation comand /usr/bin/firefox.

Then, when I closed that, and ran the Firefox comand from the menu, it added another session of Iceweasel to my already open Iceweasel windows (I hadn't used
Iceweasel for months, due to an application crash, and was bookmarking the windows of the last session, and shutting Iceweasel windows, as I went, so had
some Iceweasel windows open), and, renamed the task in the taskbar, to Firefox.

I also ran the update-menus command,as mentioned above, and then ran
Firefox from the menu, again, and got the same response.

I also note that both Firefox and Iceweasel, have the same icon, in the
icon editor that I used when I manually added Firefox to the menu.

So, now, it appears to me, that the Firefox that is installed (Firefox 2.0.0.15) and Iceweasel (Iceweasel 2.0.0.15) are one and the same.

It gets confusinger and confusinger.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:19 AM
"Mumia W.."