FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Shachar Or
 
Default ntfs-3g mounting from the dekstop in lenny

Hello!

I've sent this to debian-desktop but not much response there so I'm trying
here.

I'd like lenny to be released with the feature to easily set it up so that
desktop users would be able to mount removable ntfs filesystems R/W via the
normal desktop mouting tools.

Does anyone have an overview on this?

Love.

On Friday 20 June 2008 10:55, Shachar Or wrote:
> Is it possible to mount ntfs using ntfs-3g from KDE/Gnome and other
> desktops in lenny?
>
> If not, can we make this a debian-desktop goal?
>
> This is a feature that I find critical for desktops, because many desktop
> users use external storage with ntfs in it.
> --
> Shachar Or | שחר אור
> http://ox.freeallweb.org/

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Nyizsnyik Ferenc
 
Default ntfs-3g mounting from the dekstop in lenny

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:45:32 +0300
Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've sent this to debian-desktop but not much response there so I'm
> trying here.
>
> I'd like lenny to be released with the feature to easily set it up so
> that desktop users would be able to mount removable ntfs filesystems
> R/W via the normal desktop mouting tools.
>
> Does anyone have an overview on this?
>
> Love.
>
> On Friday 20 June 2008 10:55, Shachar Or wrote:
> > Is it possible to mount ntfs using ntfs-3g from KDE/Gnome and other
> > desktops in lenny?
> >
> > If not, can we make this a debian-desktop goal?
> >
> > This is a feature that I find critical for desktops, because many
> > desktop users use external storage with ntfs in it.
> > --
> > Shachar Or | שחר אור
> > http://ox.freeallweb.org/
>

Only a few things need to be changed in /etc/fstab to achieve your
goal. Change the filesystem type from `ntfs' to `ntfs-3g' and include
`rw' and `users' in the options.

--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Shachar Or
 
Default ntfs-3g mounting from the dekstop in lenny

On Saturday 12 July 2008 10:25, Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:45:32 +0300
>
> Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've sent this to debian-desktop but not much response there so I'm
> > trying here.
> >
> > I'd like lenny to be released with the feature to easily set it up so
> > that desktop users would be able to mount removable ntfs filesystems
> > R/W via the normal desktop mouting tools.
> >
> > Does anyone have an overview on this?
> >
> > Love.
> >
> > On Friday 20 June 2008 10:55, Shachar Or wrote:
> > > Is it possible to mount ntfs using ntfs-3g from KDE/Gnome and other
> > > desktops in lenny?
> > >
> > > If not, can we make this a debian-desktop goal?
> > >
> > > This is a feature that I find critical for desktops, because many
> > > desktop users use external storage with ntfs in it.
> > > --
> > > Shachar Or | שחר אור
> > > http://ox.freeallweb.org/
>
> Only a few things need to be changed in /etc/fstab to achieve your
> goal. Change the filesystem type from `ntfs' to `ntfs-3g' and include
> `rw' and `users' in the options.

This has nothing to do with /etc/fstab becuase i'm talking about removable
devices. Talking about being able to purchase a USB MSC HDD and plugging it
in.

>
> --
> Nyizsa.
> http://nyizsa.uni.cc

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Arthur A
 
Default ntfs-3g mounting from the dekstop in lenny

Shachar Or wrote:
snip>
This has nothing to do with /etc/fstab becuase i'm talking about removable
devices. Talking about being able to purchase a USB MSC HDD and plugging it
in.



--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc




Correct. The answer is yes it's possible. Have a look at hal and fdi policy. As
for making it the default, file a wish-list bug against hal in debian would be
my guess. Not sure of all the issues involved, but one might be that ntfs write
should not be enabled by default for reliability issues.


Best,


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Nyizsnyik Ferenc
 
Default ntfs-3g mounting from the dekstop in lenny

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:39:49 +0300
Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 12 July 2008 10:25, Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:45:32 +0300
> >
> > Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I've sent this to debian-desktop but not much response there so
> > > I'm trying here.
> > >
> > > I'd like lenny to be released with the feature to easily set it
> > > up so that desktop users would be able to mount removable ntfs
> > > filesystems R/W via the normal desktop mouting tools.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have an overview on this?
> > >
> > > Love.
> > >
> > > On Friday 20 June 2008 10:55, Shachar Or wrote:
> > > > Is it possible to mount ntfs using ntfs-3g from KDE/Gnome and
> > > > other desktops in lenny?
> > > >
> > > > If not, can we make this a debian-desktop goal?
> > > >
> > > > This is a feature that I find critical for desktops, because
> > > > many desktop users use external storage with ntfs in it.
> > > > --
> > > > Shachar Or | שחר אור
> > > > http://ox.freeallweb.org/
> >
> > Only a few things need to be changed in /etc/fstab to achieve your
> > goal. Change the filesystem type from `ntfs' to `ntfs-3g' and
> > include `rw' and `users' in the options.
>
> This has nothing to do with /etc/fstab becuase i'm talking about
> removable devices. Talking about being able to purchase a USB MSC HDD
> and plugging it in.
>

Yes, I understood it, but my statement still stands. If you use an
individual device and want it to be hotpluggable, you may consider
creating an udev rule with the VID:PID or UUID. Also don't forget to
add the `noauto' option to the correspondning line in /etc/fstab, just
to be sure.

--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org