-   -   ntfs-3g mounting from the dekstop in lenny (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/123473-ntfs-3g-mounting-dekstop-lenny.html)

Shachar Or 07-12-2008 05:45 AM

ntfs-3g mounting from the dekstop in lenny

Hello!

I've sent this to debian-desktop but not much response there so I'm trying
here.

I'd like lenny to be released with the feature to easily set it up so that
desktop users would be able to mount removable ntfs filesystems R/W via the
normal desktop mouting tools.

Does anyone have an overview on this?

Love.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Nyizsnyik Ferenc 07-12-2008 07:25 AM

ntfs-3g mounting from the dekstop in lenny

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:45:32 +0300
Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've sent this to debian-desktop but not much response there so I'm
> trying here.
>
> I'd like lenny to be released with the feature to easily set it up so
> that desktop users would be able to mount removable ntfs filesystems
> R/W via the normal desktop mouting tools.
>
> Does anyone have an overview on this?
>
> Love.
>
> On Friday 20 June 2008 10:55, Shachar Or wrote:
> > Is it possible to mount ntfs using ntfs-3g from KDE/Gnome and other
> > desktops in lenny?
> >
> > If not, can we make this a debian-desktop goal?
> >
> > This is a feature that I find critical for desktops, because many
> > desktop users use external storage with ntfs in it.
> > --
> > Shachar Or | שחר אור
> > http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Only a few things need to be changed in /etc/fstab to achieve your
goal. Change the filesystem type from `ntfs' to `ntfs-3g' and include
`rw' and `users' in the options.

--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc

Shachar Or 07-12-2008 07:39 AM

On Saturday 12 July 2008 10:25, Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:45:32 +0300
>
> Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've sent this to debian-desktop but not much response there so I'm
> > trying here.
> >
> > I'd like lenny to be released with the feature to easily set it up so
> > that desktop users would be able to mount removable ntfs filesystems
> > R/W via the normal desktop mouting tools.
> >
> > Does anyone have an overview on this?
> >
> > Love.
> >
> > On Friday 20 June 2008 10:55, Shachar Or wrote:
> > > Is it possible to mount ntfs using ntfs-3g from KDE/Gnome and other
> > > desktops in lenny?
> > >
> > > If not, can we make this a debian-desktop goal?
> > >
> > > This is a feature that I find critical for desktops, because many
> > > desktop users use external storage with ntfs in it.
> > > --
> > > Shachar Or | שחר אור
> > > http://ox.freeallweb.org/
>
> Only a few things need to be changed in /etc/fstab to achieve your
> goal. Change the filesystem type from `ntfs' to `ntfs-3g' and include
> `rw' and `users' in the options.

This has nothing to do with /etc/fstab becuase i'm talking about removable
devices. Talking about being able to purchase a USB MSC HDD and plugging it
in.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Arthur A 07-12-2008 07:55 AM

ntfs-3g mounting from the dekstop in lenny

Shachar Or wrote:
snip>
This has nothing to do with /etc/fstab becuase i'm talking about removable
devices. Talking about being able to purchase a USB MSC HDD and plugging it
in.

--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc

Correct. The answer is yes it's possible. Have a look at hal and fdi policy. As
for making it the default, file a wish-list bug against hal in debian would be
my guess. Not sure of all the issues involved, but one might be that ntfs write
should not be enabled by default for reliability issues.

Best,

Nyizsnyik Ferenc 07-12-2008 09:22 AM

ntfs-3g mounting from the dekstop in lenny

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:39:49 +0300
Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 12 July 2008 10:25, Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:45:32 +0300
> >
> > Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I've sent this to debian-desktop but not much response there so
> > > I'm trying here.
> > >
> > > I'd like lenny to be released with the feature to easily set it
> > > up so that desktop users would be able to mount removable ntfs
> > > filesystems R/W via the normal desktop mouting tools.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have an overview on this?
> > >
> > > Love.

> > Only a few things need to be changed in /etc/fstab to achieve your
> > goal. Change the filesystem type from `ntfs' to `ntfs-3g' and
> > include `rw' and `users' in the options.
>
> This has nothing to do with /etc/fstab becuase i'm talking about
> removable devices. Talking about being able to purchase a USB MSC HDD
> and plugging it in.

Yes, I understood it, but my statement still stands. If you use an
individual device and want it to be hotpluggable, you may consider
creating an udev rule with the VID:PID or UUID. Also don't forget to
add the `noauto' option to the correspondning line in /etc/fstab, just
to be sure.

--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc