Old 07-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Default A trick for non-supscrivvers

This message originally had the title "A trick for
non-subscribers". I send it again with the word misspelled.
The original version did not make it to the list because the list
interpreted the substring "subscribe" in the title as a request to
subscribe (which I do *not* want). Robots..

This is not a question but a tip. I just discovered this; of
course it may be old hat.

You want to participate in the list? But you don't want to
subscribe, because of the huge volume on the list?

The trick:

1. Use icedove as your mail/news reader, and tell Iceweasel
you've done so.
2. Subscribe to newsgroup linux.debian.user.
3. Read messages from the newsgroup.
4. If you want to reply to a message, find the same message
in http://lists.debian.org/debian-user. Then click the
"reply to list" link. If everything goes well, an Icedove
mail compose window will come up, with an empty message area.
5. Now the trick: in this compose window, click "options",
"quote message". In the compose window, the message (which will
go to the LIST), the message from the NEWSGROUP will be
quoted.

This works in Sid. No guarantees for other Debian versions.

Regards, Jan

Old 07-12-2008, 12:08 AM
"s. keeling"

Jan Willem Stumpel <jstumpel@planet.nl>:
> This message originally had the title "A trick for
> non-subscribers". I send it again with the word misspelled.
> The original version did not make it to the list because the list
> interpreted the substring "subscribe" in the title as a request to
> subscribe (which I do *not* want). Robots..
>
> This is not a question but a tip. I just discovered this; of
> course it may be old hat.
>
> You want to participate in the list? But you don't want to
> subscribe, because of the huge volume on the list?
>
> The trick:
>
> 1. Use icedove as your mail/news reader, and tell Iceweasel
> you've done so.
> 2. Subscribe to newsgroup linux.debian.user.
> 3. Read messages from the newsgroup.

No, use slrn, and you can pretty much ignore the following.

> 4. If you want to reply to a message, find the same message
> in http://lists.debian.org/debian-user. Then click the
> "reply to list" link. If everything goes well, an Icedove
> mail compose window will come up, with an empty message area.

In slrn, I hit f, and the message opens up in emacs. Snip, type,
CTRL-xc.

> 5. Now the trick: in this compose window, click "options",
> "quote message". In the compose window, the message (which will
> go to the LIST), the message from the NEWSGROUP will be
> quoted.

Also:

subscribe to whitelist@lists.debian.org

subscribe to linux-gate@lists.bofh.it