Old 07-11-2008, 02:37 PM
"Javier Vasquez"

Default OT: Does grub-install overwrite the MBR?

Hi,

I'm wondering whether grub-install actually overwrites the MBR or not.
If not then that's what I'm looking for, . If so, how can it be
performed without touching the MBR? Is there a difference between
grub2 and grub-legacy in this regard?

Thanks,

--
Javier

Old 07-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Javier Vasquez wrote:

Hi,

I'm wondering whether grub-install actually overwrites the MBR or not.
If not then that's what I'm looking for, . If so, how can it be
performed without touching the MBR? Is there a difference between
grub2 and grub-legacy in this regard?

Grub-install is just a script.
The actual MBR installation is done with:

grub> root (hd0,0) (Specify where your /boot partition resides)
grub> setup (hd0) (Install GRUB in the MBR)
grub> quit (Exit the GRUB shell)

acc. to http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/installation/57244-grub-mbr.html

and if you check the script at line 529 it does just that.

Who knows about grub2 since grub-legacu works quite well.

More interesting, why would you want to install grub without touching
the MBR which is its claim to fame?

Hugo

Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Fri,11.Jul.08, 08:37:40, Javier Vasquez wrote:

> I'm wondering whether grub-install actually overwrites the MBR or not.
> If not then that's what I'm looking for, . If so, how can it be
> performed without touching the MBR? Is there a difference between
> grub2 and grub-legacy in this regard?

Grub will install to the MBR if you specify a drive (not a partition) as
its destination. But AFAIK it will not overwrite Windows' bootloader and
it should be possible to revert. Read the grub docs for more info.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)