Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Shachar Or

Default Automating the configuration of alsa on known HW

Hello!

In order to do this, I'll run alsaconf on the HW and copy it's results. So I'm
here asking, what files does alsaconf change/create?

Peace!
--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 07-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Shachar Or

Doesn't anyone know?

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 07-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:58:11 +0300
Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:

> Doesn't anyone know?
>
> On Friday 11 July 2008 15:39, Shachar Or wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > In order to do this, I'll run alsaconf on the HW and copy it's
> > results. So I'm here asking, what files does alsaconf change/create?
> >
> > Peace!
> > --
> > Shachar Or | שחר אור
> > http://ox.freeallweb.org/

When running alsaconf as root, it adds your soundcard(s)
to /etc/modprobe.d/sound and /etc/modprobe.conf

Old 07-17-2008, 03:28 AM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 07:58:11PM +0300, Shachar Or wrote:
> Doesn't anyone know?
>
> On Friday 11 July 2008 15:39, Shachar Or wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > In order to do this, I'll run alsaconf on the HW and copy it's results. So
> > I'm here asking, what files does alsaconf change/create?

Please don't top post. Please trim your quotes.

What are you trying to achieve?

alsaconf is a shell script -- so obviously the answer lies with:

less /usr/sbin/alsaconf

--
Chris.
======

Old 07-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Shachar Or

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 20:12, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> When running alsaconf as root, it adds your soundcard(s)
> to /etc/modprobe.d/sound and /etc/modprobe.conf

alsaconf doesn't create the
/etc/modprobe.conf
in this machine.

Copying the
/etc/modprobe.d/sound
doesn't seem to make audio work. The alsaconf script must be doing additional
changes to things. What are those changes?

HW here is VirtualBox, with it's intel AC'97 card.

If there was a way to run alsaconf non-interactively, I would consider. I've
heard of a command called 'expect'...

Knowing the exact files that alsaconf changes would be best.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 07-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Shachar Or

On Thursday 17 July 2008 06:28, Chris Bannister wrote:

> What are you trying to achieve?

I am installing on multiple, identical machines, completely non-interactively,
using preseed and a script. Many things are already taken care of -- this
wasn't an easy task.

Anyway! I am trying to achieve the automatic/scripted/non-interactive
setup/configuration of ALSA in etch.

> alsaconf is a shell script -- so obviously the answer lies with:
>
> less /usr/sbin/alsaconf

I'll dig there if I must...

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור