Old 07-11-2008, 11:03 AM
"Ali Milis"

Default How to name a package (was how to package?)

Apology for this question. Supposed there is a large
organization where '/usr/local' is reserved for the real
local of any system.

Supposed HQ introduced package 'hq-vi' which is a
modification of vim. But, a branch also introduced
'branch-hq-vi' which is a different modification of vim too.

(1) Is it OK to name the packages with 'hq-vi' and 'branch-hq-vi'
without reporting to any upstream (whatever that is)?

(2) Is it OK to put those packages into /usr/bin? Is /opt a
better place? Eg. /opt/hq/ and /opt/hg/branch/?

(3) Is it OK to use the /etc/alternatives directory for
altering the vi?

(4) Any suggestion?

--
Raja Ali M.I. Ilias, Bengkalis, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AliMilis
Counted GNU/Linux Engineer # 405138 - http://counter.li.org/

Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hi Ali,

Am 2008-07-11 18:03:02, schrieb Ali Milis:
> Supposed HQ introduced package 'hq-vi' which is a
> modification of vim. But, a branch also introduced
> 'branch-hq-vi' which is a different modification of vim too.
>
> (1) Is it OK to name the packages with 'hq-vi' and 'branch-hq-vi'
> without reporting to any upstream (whatever that is)?

Why not: vi-hq
vi-hq-branch

which would be more logic

> (2) Is it OK to put those packages into /usr/bin? Is /opt a
> better place? Eg. /opt/hq/ and /opt/hg/branch/?

It depends. What are the names of the binaries?

I would suggest to use /usr/bin if you want to install the stuff on a
larger number of machines and do not want to maintain the pathes on it.

If they are called "vi", then you need to add "Conflicts:" to the
debian/control file

> (3) Is it OK to use the /etc/alternatives directory for
> altering the vi?

This would only work IF the original /usr/bin/vi is a symlink and the
binary is for example /usr/bin/vi-orig. Then you could name YOUR "vi"
binaries

/usr/bin/vi-hq
/usr/bin/vi-hw-branch

and then you can choose the version you want using the alternatives
system. However, this mean, you should remove the original "vi" package
which would not me be available, or rebuild the original "vi" pacage by
renaming the executable, and adding the alternatives system.

> (4) Any suggestion?

see above.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi