Old 07-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Vladi Lemurov

Default cannot delete tun interface after reconnect

Hello there,
Please help me with a network problem.
I have a DSL connection (ppp0) and an ipip tunnel (tun6) connection.
I use DSL connection for peering networks (I don't have to pay for
traffic when connecting to the hosts of these nets) and ipip tunnel
for the rest "outer world". The server for my ipip tunnel
is in peering networks. When the dsl connection brokes and then
reconnects the "outer world" networks stop working, I get "Destination
Host Unreachable" icmp packet from myself (my side of the ipip tunnel),
Though I have default route in route table.
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 tun6

Then I kill this tun6 iface by (vpn.disconnect.script):

route del default dev tun6
ifconfig tun6 down

And reconnect again by (vpn.connect.script):
ip tunnel add tun6 mode ipip remote <VPN_server IP> local <my ip> dev

ppp0
ifconfig tun6 <my vpn ip> netmask 255.255.255.248 pointopoint <server

vpn ip> &&

ifconfig tun6 mtu 1452 up &&
route del default dev ppp0
route add default dev tun6

But I still get this "Destination Host Unreachable" icmp packet from <my
vpn ip>.
If I reboot and the vpn.connect.scripts estblishes the connection.
I noticed, that after I get the disconnection of the DSL and then and
try ti delete tun6, it doesn't disappear from /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/.
I also have a vpn server (openvpn), it also uses tun interface in my
conf (though not ipip of course). I tried to stop openvpn server and the
tun0 (openvpn server uses this iface in my conf) disappeared from
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/. It seems tun6 isn't deleted propely in my
vpn.disconnect.script. Am I doing something wrong?
BTW vpn.disconnect.script and vpn.connect.script reside in
/etc/ppp/ip-down.d and /etc/ppp/ip-up.d respectively.
Vladi.