Old 07-10-2008, 05:56 PM
joseph lockhart

Default P2P clients for debian etch

just wondering which P2P clients are best, seems to be slim pickings in the base debian repository so I figure that I am missing a repository or will have to go the long way to find a good client (however, I do not want to have to find and install a lot of dependencies that are also not in the repository, which is the case with limewire's linux build)

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
this user is penguin powered

Old 07-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Jonathan Kaye

joseph lockhart wrote:

> just wondering which P2P clients are best, seems to be slim pickings in
> the base debian repository so I figure that I am missing a repository or
> will have to go the long way to find a good client (however, I do not want
> to have to find and install a lot of dependencies that are also not in the
> repository, which is the case with limewire's linux build)
>
> jwlockhart
>
> Registered Linux User #458799
> this user is penguin powered
Hi Joseph,
There are a lot of bittorrent clients. BitTornado is my favourite. There's
also Amule which I use. Lime Wire has a linux (Debian) client. There are
loads of others. You just have to look for them.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Old 07-11-2008, 01:27 PM
"Nuno Magalhães"

I use mldonkey, it supports e2k and torrents, as well as some others
(although i think you have to compile it to support extra networks).
It has a very useful webinterface; the only downside is that lately
i've noticed mldonkey peaks my CPU every 3 seconds or so, i don't know
why.

--
Nuno Magalhães

Old 07-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Shachar Or

I don't like mldonkey's style. For torrents, it is rtorrent for me and that's
the only P2P I use.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 07-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Arthur A

Jonathan Kaye wrote:

joseph lockhart wrote:

just wondering which P2P clients are best, seems to be slim pickings in
the base debian repository so I figure that I am missing a repository or
will have to go the long way to find a good client (however, I do not want
to have to find and install a lot of dependencies that are also not in the
repository, which is the case with limewire's linux build)

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
this user is penguin powered

Hi Joseph,
There are a lot of bittorrent clients. BitTornado is my favourite. There's
also Amule which I use. Lime Wire has a linux (Debian) client. There are
loads of others. You just have to look for them.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Hi,

I like transmission, which has all kinds of features I don't use but stay out of
my way. I used to use deluge, but read about excessive fragmentation under ext3
on the deluge forums that never got resolved to my satisfaction.

Best,
AA

Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Chris Davies

joseph lockhart <jwl_andlovesaidno@yahoo.com> wrote:
> just wondering which P2P clients are best, seems to be slim pickings
> in the base debian repository [...]

I'd recommend uTorrent running under wine. Works great here.
Chris