Old 07-10-2008, 05:58 PM
andy

Default Iceweasel freeze ups

Hi

I am aware of an earlier thread about FF/IW 3.0. This is slightly
different in that using IW, with 7 tabs open, using Privoxy and TOR, the
entire browser has just frozen up. This is IW version: 2.0.0.14 on an
up-to-date Lenny/testing machine.

Even if I minimise another window that came up in front of IW (such as
me pulling up this client to write this email), across the window of IW
I am left with a series of lines that have yet to be refreshed. The IW
indicator that shows when a page is loading has stopped, and the browser
window is as good as useless. When minimised and reopened it simply
shows my desktop with a frame around it where the browser window should be.

The only way to deal with this is to force quit. I am unable to provide
any details about the amount of mem it was using, or CPU time because I
closed the damn thing, but will try to capture that info if it would
help. I just wanted to know if others have been having trouble with IW
of this kind of nature.

Cheers

Andy

Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 AM
Bret Busby

[...]

I have multiple such problems with Iceape.

One such problem, and it may be the cause, is that the "Block
unrequested pop-up windows", simply does not work.

When, for whatever reason, the memory usage caused by Iceape, reaches a
certain level (what exactly is that level, I have yet to determine, as
it seems to vary, and, it may involve malicious code on particular web
sites, that isallowed by Iceape, to take control of Iceape), Iceape
opens multiple pop-up windows, and, if one of the pop-up windows
is inadvertently, directly manually closed, the application crashes.

These particular unwanted malicious pop-ups, show in the task bar as
"untitled window(s)", usually showing no visible content. Sometimes, the
"untitled window(s)" show as opened browser windows, with advertising,
as mailicious advertisng billboards on the screen.

If a tab or new browser window, that creates the unwanted pop-up on
opening, is closed, the unwanted pop-up disappears.

I oft wonder whether this is some security breach that uses a hangover
of memory leaks, that were supposed to have occurred with the original
netscape browsers, back at about version 4 of netscape, or something.

Whatever the cause, the "Block unrequested pop-up windows", simply does
not work, and is a serious vulnerability, and, the failure to work, of
that option, makes the application unstable.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..

Old 07-11-2008, 02:35 PM
"Jeff Soules"

> that isallowed by Iceape, to take control of Iceape), Iceape opens multiple
> pop-up windows, and, if one of the pop-up windows is inadvertently, directly
> manually closed, the application crashes.

Funny you mention this -- I don't think this is due to malicious code, because
I have had a similar problem in IceWeasel, a crash when I closed a
popped-out google chat window. I haven't seen a repeat of this so I don't
know if it was a fluke, but it does seem that under certain circumstances
which I can't yet elaborate, closing a popup will crash the browser.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 11 Jul 2008, Jeff Soules wrote:
> > that isallowed by Iceape, to take control of Iceape), Iceape opens multiple
> > pop-up windows, and, if one of the pop-up windows is inadvertently, directly
> > manually closed, the application crashes.
>
> Funny you mention this -- I don't think this is due to malicious code, because
> I have had a similar problem in IceWeasel, a crash when I closed a
> popped-out google chat window. I haven't seen a repeat of this so I don't
> know if it was a fluke, but it does seem that under certain circumstances
> which I can't yet elaborate, closing a popup will crash the browser.

It's crashing here whenever I try to listen to something on BBC radio
using realplayer. But it does work with Firfox 3 installed directly.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)