-   -   IMAP is teh r0x0rz! (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/122721-imap-teh-r0x0rz.html)

Andrew Sackville-West 07-10-2008 05:38 PM

IMAP is teh r0x0rz!

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 01:38:35PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/09/08 13:26, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > try a different MUA?
>
> This is why IMAP should be the standard mail store, not mboxes in
> "proprietary" locations.

second that. THe convenience is incredible. Case in point:

last month the family and I took a vacation. For several days we were
going to be at separate locations, so the kids would be without my
laptop (which carries separate accounts for each of them, I am the
best dad in the world!). I installed squirrelmail on my mail server,
pointed it at the IMAP server (dovecot) and the problem was solved, in
about 5 minutes. The whole family had mail access over the web without
mucking around with teaching them how to configure clients (and then
clean up afterwards!) and so forth. easy peasy.

"Steve C. Lamb" 07-10-2008 05:51 PM

IMAP is teh r0x0rz!

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:38:21AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 01:38:35PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 07/09/08 13:26, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > This is why IMAP should be the standard mail store, not mboxes in
> > "proprietary" locations.

> second that. THe convenience is incredible. Case in point:

Here's another fine example. I use dovecot on my server to expose my mbox
mail via IMAP. Here are the locations from where I regularly check my mail:

On the server itself via mutt (ssh session).
Squirrelmail via any web browser the world over.
Thunderbird on my KUbuntu laptop.
Thunderbird on my Windows partition on my gaming machine.
Thunderbird on my KUbuntu partition on my gaming machine.
Thunderbird on my KUbuntu VirtualBox VM under Windows on my gaming machine.
Thunderbird on my KUbuntu VirtualBox VM under Windows on my work laptop.

Sure, I could do all that with ssh to the server and read via mutt but I
prefer Thunderbird and being able to just point it to my IMAP store, configure
about 3-4 settings and be good to go is a godsend.

The only thing I miss in that setup, really, is the ability to configure
filters from inside the client and subfolders. I know both are possible if I
switch to another IMAP server. However I would lose the flexibility of
ssh/mutt which comes in handy sometimes. Regardless I cannot imagine doing
all of the above without IMAP.

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 8B6E99C5 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

"Steve C. Lamb" 07-10-2008 06:37 PM

IMAP is teh r0x0rz!

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 01:51:01PM -0400, Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> The only thing I miss in that setup, really, is the ability to configure
> filters from inside the client and subfolders. I know both are possible if
> I switch to another IMAP server. However I would lose the flexibility of
> ssh/mutt which comes in handy sometimes. Regardless I cannot imagine doing
> all of the above without IMAP.

Just to correct myself I just found out that TBird and Dovecot can do
subfolders with mbox. One just needs to append a / at the end of the folders
when creating them in Thunderbird. This denotes that it is a folder to
contain other folders (a directory server side) vs a folder to hold mail (an
mbox file).

Ron Johnson 07-11-2008 01:28 AM

IMAP is teh r0x0rz!

Ron Johnson 07-11-2008 01:31 AM

IMAP is teh r0x0rz!

Steve Lamb 07-11-2008 04:41 AM

IMAP is teh r0x0rz!

Ron Johnson wrote:
> Of course, it drops mails directly into Maildir folders, so you'd
> have to tell Dovcot to use Maildir instead of mbox. But that should
> not be hard.

I was talking about the filters from the client more than the subfolders.
Dovecot doesn't do sieve.

Wackojacko 07-11-2008 07:28 AM

IMAP is teh r0x0rz!

Steve Lamb wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

Of course, it drops mails directly into Maildir folders, so you'd
have to tell Dovcot to use Maildir instead of mbox. But that should
not be hard.

I was talking about the filters from the client more than the subfolders.
Dovecot doesn't do sieve.

There is a plug-in for sieve.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve

HTH

Wackojacko

Steve Lamb 07-11-2008 07:35 AM

IMAP is teh r0x0rz!

Wackojacko wrote:
> Steve Lamb wrote:
>> Dovecot doesn't do sieve.

> There is a plug-in for sieve.

> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve

> HTH

Hell yeah it helps. Hm, they're compiled in by default in Ubuntu, wonder
if that means Debian too. Also...

http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/info-cyrus/2008-May/029069.html

...Wewt, TBird Sieve extensions! I know what I'm going to be playing with
this weekend! Thanks!

Yes, I said wewt, for those who went all o.O at that, deal. :P

Nate Duehr 07-12-2008 07:25 PM

IMAP is teh r0x0rz!

This is why IMAP should be the standard mail store, not mboxes in
"proprietary" locations.

second that. THe convenience is incredible. Case in point:

Here's another fine example. I use dovecot on my server to
expose my mbox
mail via IMAP. Here are the locations from where I regularly check
my mail:

We really gotta get you over to Maildir someday, Steve. ;-)

Then you can back up mail directories with thinks like rdiff and not
pull in the whole mbox file into the backup again. Just the new
mail. (GRIN)

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI 07-12-2008 07:42 PM

IMAP is teh r0x0rz!

Nate Duehr wrote:
> We really gotta get you over to Maildir someday, Steve. ;-)
>
> Then you can back up mail directories with thinks like rdiff and not
> pull in the whole mbox file into the backup again. Just the new
> mail. (GRIN)

While I do think Maildir is a lot better than mbox, applications like
rsync, rdiff-backup, etc, copy only what's changed in files, so
rsync'ing a mbox is actually efficient.

--
Credit ... is the only enduring testimonial to man's confidence in man.
-- James Blish

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb