-   -   Slow video (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/122669-slow-video.html)

Frank McCormick 07-10-2008 04:44 PM

Slow video

I am running Sid on a dual-core 2.6 GHZ Pentium and I'm using the
on-board video. My MB is an Intel DB865GBF. My monitor is a newer LDG LCD.

Lately, it seems the past few weeks the video performance has deteriorated
- - it used to be quite fast but in Firefox and Thunderbird the display seems
to be a lot slower. A couple of months ago someone here suggested I add
"AccellMethod EXA" to my device section in xorg.conf. I did and at the
time it seemed to improve things but now it seems they are back to where
they were. I know the Intel driver has been "updated" at least once since
then.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Would it improve things if I installed
a separate video card?

This is my current xorg.conf:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool,
# using values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades
# *only* if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the
# xserver-xorg package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically
# updated again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
## Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
## Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
## Option "XVideo" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

- --
Frank fmccormick@videotron.ca

Frank McCormick 07-10-2008 04:52 PM

Slow video

[...]

- - --
Frank -- debian@videotron.ca

Ron Johnson 07-10-2008 09:05 PM

Slow video

Frank McCormick 07-11-2008 12:43 PM

Slow video

Frank McCormick 07-11-2008 07:55 PM

Slow video

Nick Lidakis 07-11-2008 10:50 PM

Slow video

Frank McCormick wrote:

Thanks Brian, but I think I am gonna get myself an Nvidia-based card :)

The NVIDIA card might not be any better. I have issues, with the
proprietary drivers, with slow scrolling using either a Quadro NVS 285
or a GTX 7800 on a 1600x1200 DVI panel. The open source driver is worse.

With Firefox 2 or 3, scrolling on sites like Slashdot
(e.g.,:http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/06/26/1729252 and this
site seems very sluggish as well:
http://shame.tuxfamily.org/repo/?cat=1) can be very slow and peg my CPU
to %100.

Supposedly, it's a known problem. Check out this thread at the official
Nvidia Linux forums:

Borrowing a small laptop at work with Windows XP and an older Intel
integrated video card show no scrolling problems whatsoever. That 1000+
Slashdot thread scrolls by super fast in FF 2 or 3.

If you still want to try the Nvidia card you can pick up a PCI-e or AGP
Quadro NVS (fanless and 15 watts max power consumption) on eBay for
about ten to twenty dollars. Make sure you get the right cable for it;
you need either the Y cable that has dual DVI or VGA.

Here's one card that is selling with either:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NVIDIA-Quadro-NVS-285-Dual-Display-PCI-E-x16-Video-Card_W0QQitemZ160260145616QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3762Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Frank McCormick 07-12-2008 01:52 AM

Slow video

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 18:50:42 -0400
Nick Lidakis <nlidakis@verizon.net> wrote:

> Frank McCormick wrote:
>
> > Thanks Brian, but I think I am gonna get myself an Nvidia-based
> > card :)
>
> The NVIDIA card might not be any better. I have issues, with the
> proprietary drivers, with slow scrolling using either a Quadro NVS 285
> or a GTX 7800 on a 1600x1200 DVI panel. The open source driver is worse.
>
> With Firefox 2 or 3, scrolling on sites like Slashdot
> (e.g.,:http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/06/26/1729252 and this
> site seems very sluggish as well:
> http://shame.tuxfamily.org/repo/?cat=1) can be very slow and peg my CPU
> to %100.

Hummn.Tried both sites and they work well on my machine - the shame site
does tend to drive up the cpu needle.

> Supposedly, it's a known problem. Check out this thread at the official
> Nvidia Linux forums:
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114858
>
> Borrowing a small laptop at work with Windows XP and an older Intel
> integrated video card show no scrolling problems whatsoever. That 1000+
> Slashdot thread scrolls by super fast in FF 2 or 3.

Woof. There's those evil letters again.

> If you still want to try the Nvidia card you can pick up a PCI-e or AGP
> Quadro NVS (fanless and 15 watts max power consumption) on eBay for
> about ten to twenty dollars. Make sure you get the right cable for it;
> you need either the Y cable that has dual DVI or VGA.
>
> Here's one card that is selling with either:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/NVIDIA-Quadro-NVS-285-Dual-Display-PCI-E-x16-Video-Card_W0QQitemZ160260145616QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3762Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Talk about service...a link to the card....I'll drop a bid on it and
we'll see what happens.

Thanks and cheers!

- --
Frank -- debian@videotron.ca

Nick Lidakis 07-12-2008 02:53 AM

Slow video

Frank McCormick wrote:

Hummn.Tried both sites and they work well on my machine - the shame site
does tend to drive up the cpu needle.

Would you (or anyone else, especially if you're using and Intel or
NVIDIA driver) mind trying this site?
http://www.tempus-vivit.net/taverne/thema/935 This is mentioned in
another thread on the NVIDIA forum as well. Slows my Firefox (Athlon x2
4800+ 2GB RAM) down something ferocious.

Talk about service...a link to the card....I'll drop a bid on it and
we'll see what happens.

Thanks and cheers!

No problem. But if you get a hold of one of those cards please don't
forget to report back. Thanks.

John Hasler 07-12-2008 03:33 AM

Slow video

Nick Lidakis writes:
> Would you (or anyone else, especially if you're using and Intel or NVIDIA
> driver) mind trying this site?
> http://www.tempus-vivit.net/taverne/thema/935

Works fine here. Athlon 64, Geforce 6800.
--
John Hasler