Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Florian Kulzer

Default Slow video

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 21:08:43 -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
>> Brian writes:
>>> I would argue that this is a problem with Firefox, not whatever video
>>> driver you're using. I've noticed that fixed background images really
>>> cause Firefox to choke, especially with smooth scrolling enabled
>>
>> That would explain why it works fine for me. I use smooth scrolling but I
>> suppress such images.
>
> May I ask how you achieve that in Firefox?

You can use a userContent style sheet to do that. Add this line

* { background-image: none ! important; }

to the file

~/.mozilla/firefox/XXXXXXXX.default/chrome/userContent.css

If you never used a user style sheet before then this file will probably
not exist on your system; you can create it as a one-liner in that case.
(The name of the default profile directory contains a random string as a
security measure; "XXXXXXXX" above is meant as a placeholder for that
string.)

More userContent.css and userChrome.css tricks can be found here:

http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html

Florian |

Old 07-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Nick Lidakis

Florian Kulzer wrote:

You can use a userContent style sheet to do that. Add this line

* { background-image: none ! important; }

to the file

~/.mozilla/firefox/XXXXXXXX.default/chrome/userContent.css

Thanks for that. It seemd to have mostly fixed the sluggishness on the
page (http://www.tempus-vivit.net/taverne/thema/935) I mentioned
earlier. There is a still a hint of sluggishness when comparing
scrolling to, say, the home page of Slashdot or The New York Times.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Nick Lidakis

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 07/12/08 02:00, Nick Lidakis wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

The "inner" scroll region? No sluggishness or slowdown. Noticeable
CPU usage by /usr/bin/X11/X when I rapidly jerk the scroll bar up
and down, but that's normal.

Are ya using
the NV or Nvidia driver?

Sorry. The nvidia driver.

I forgot to ask if you were running a high resolution monitor, perhaps
1600x1200 or greater? Are you running any of the 3d accelerated desktop,
or regular 2d window manager?

A y2k-vintage Gateway VX1120 (Hitachi Diamondtron flat-screen CRT)
at 1280x1024 with GNOME & Metacity. (I see no reason to waste
resources on eye candy.)

Tonight I tried the sluggish website I mentioned in an earlier post
(http://www.tempus-vivit.net/taverne/thema/935), but at a 1280x1024
resolution. Better, still sluggish, but not the molasses that 1600x1200
was. Dropping down to 1024x768, things were very snappy and the
sluggishness was completely gone.

I'm giving up on the Nvdia cards. Seems I'm not the only one having
serious issues with 2D support with their latest driver series. I'm glad
to say that I on;y paid $12 USD for the Quadro card on eBay.

I picked up a lower end ATI 3650 after doing some reading online. Didn't
realize AMD/ATI were releasing specs to the open source developers, with
Novell even writing drivers on AMD's behalf.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

What color depth?
My card is an air-cooled

*Arrowing* down that page definitely isn't as fast as arrowing down
a Slashdot page, but I'd attribute that to the page's extra
complexity and the page down or grab the slider bar and not think a
2nd thought about it.

While Googling and reading, I found this app:
http://gtkperf.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=main
http://gtkperf.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=download

Here are my results:
$ gtkperf -c 1000
GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Mon Aug 11 03:26:13 2008

GtkEntry - time: 0.85
GtkComboBox - time: 17.38
GtkComboBoxEntry - time: 16.19
GtkSpinButton - time: 3.29
GtkProgressBar - time: 1.05
GtkToggleButton - time: 6.07
GtkCheckButton - time: 5.89
GtkRadioButton - time: 7.17
GtkTextView - Add text - time: 35.38
GtkTextView - Scroll - time: 21.56
GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time: 4.51
GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time: 5.38
GtkDrawingArea - Text - time: 6.89
GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time: 2.07
---
Total time: 133.68

Hardware
--------
Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 2GB RAM
GeForce 7300SE (G72) 128MB, 1280x1024x16

Software
--------
X.org 1:7.3
Nvidia 173.14.05
libgtk2.0-0 2.12.11-3
gnome-core 2.22.2~4
metacity 1:2.22.0-1

Note this screen print from 3.5 years ago. Even factoring in that
it did an order of magnitude fewer test cycles, it still seems
faster than my card.

http://gtkperf.sourceforge.net/images/sc_main.png

I picked up a lower end ATI 3650 after doing some reading online. Didn't
realize AMD/ATI were releasing specs to the open source developers, with
Novell even writing drivers on AMD's behalf.

I'm loyal to the company that supported Linux when no other video
card did. But their newer cards just don't seem to do so well under
Linux.

There's a good possibility that my next card will be ATI.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Scientists are people, too. IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."
http://thefutureofthings.com/book/3/the-bomb-that-never-was.html