Old 07-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Slow video

Old 07-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Brian Marshall

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 07:42:11 -0400
Frank McCormick <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:53:45 -0400
> Nick Lidakis <nlidakis@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > Frank McCormick wrote:
> >

> > > Hummn.Tried both sites and they work well on my machine - the
> > > shame site does tend to drive up the cpu needle.
> >
> > Would you (or anyone else, especially if you're using and Intel or
> > NVIDIA driver) mind trying this site?
> > http://www.tempus-vivit.net/taverne/thema/935 This is mentioned in
> > another thread on the NVIDIA forum as well. Slows my Firefox
> > (Athlon x2 4800+ 2GB RAM) down something ferocious.
>

> Horridly slow - Intel dual-core 2.6 ghz - using on board video - 1
> gig ram - Firefox 2.0.0.14 - it seems to slow other part of Firefox
> as well. Maybe there's a script running?

I would argue that this is a problem with Firefox, not whatever video
driver you're using. I've noticed that fixed background images really
cause Firefox to choke, especially with smooth scrolling enabled.

--
Brian

Old 07-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Brian Marshall

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:42:43 -0500

> On 07/12/08 08:38, Brian Marshall wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 07:42:11 -0400
> > Frank McCormick <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:

> >> Horridly slow - Intel dual-core 2.6 ghz - using on board video
> >> - 1 gig ram - Firefox 2.0.0.14 - it seems to slow other part of
> >> Firefox as well. Maybe there's a script running?
> >
> > I would argue that this is a problem with Firefox, not whatever
> > video driver you're using. I've noticed that fixed background
> > images really cause Firefox to choke, especially with smooth
> > scrolling enabled.
>
> The ones that hover in the same place, no matter how much you scroll
> the page up and down?

Yep, those are the ones.

--
Brian

Old 07-12-2008, 02:03 PM
John Hasler

Brian writes:
> I would argue that this is a problem with Firefox, not whatever video
> driver you're using. I've noticed that fixed background images really
> cause Firefox to choke, especially with smooth scrolling enabled

That would explain why it works fine for me. I use smooth scrolling but I
suppress such images.
--
John Hasler

Old 07-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Paul Johnson

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 15:55 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> Thanks Brian, but I think I am gonna get myself an Nvidia-based card

I'd hold off on that if I were you. ATI has recently opened their specs
and progress on those drivers is happening rapidly. The same cannot be
said for nVidia.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 07-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Frank McCormick

Old 07-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Nick Lidakis

John Hasler wrote:

Brian writes:

I would argue that this is a problem with Firefox, not whatever video
driver you're using. I've noticed that fixed background images really
cause Firefox to choke, especially with smooth scrolling enabled

That would explain why it works fine for me. I use smooth scrolling but I
suppress such images.

May I ask how you achieve that in Firefox?

Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Nick Lidakis

Ron Johnson wrote:

A y2k-vintage Gateway VX1120 (Hitachi Diamondtron flat-screen CRT)

at 1280x1024 with GNOME & Metacity. (I see no reason to waste
resources on eye candy.)

Would you mind posting your xorg.conf? I have tried EXA and XAA options
to no avail. My desktop is a minimal Openbox and mrxvt affair.

Sure.

Thanks for posting that. Nothing really different in comparison. Don't
know what else to try...

Old 07-16-2008, 02:33 AM
John Hasler

Nick writes:
> May I ask how you achieve that in Firefox?

Noscript, only my own colors, some custom css that I had forgotten about
until just now (I've forgotten exactly what it does: I'll look when I get
time and remember. If I do.) I rarely see background images on pages that
people assure me have them.
--
John Hasler