Old 07-12-2008, 03:55 AM
Ron Johnson

Default Slow video

Old 07-12-2008, 04:08 AM
Nick Lidakis

Ron Johnson wrote:

I went to that page, but all I saw was a relatively simple web forum.

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE
Iceweasel 3.0-rc2

What about scrolling through the posts? And sluggishness? Are ya using
the NV or Nvidia driver?

Old 07-12-2008, 04:45 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-12-2008, 04:52 AM
"H.S."

Nick Lidakis wrote:

Frank McCormick wrote:

Hummn.Tried both sites and they work well on my machine - the shame
site

does tend to drive up the cpu needle.

Would you (or anyone else, especially if you're using and Intel or
NVIDIA driver) mind trying this site?
http://www.tempus-vivit.net/taverne/thema/935 This is mentioned in
another thread on the NVIDIA forum as well. Slows my Firefox (Athlon x2
4800+ 2GB RAM) down something ferocious.

Slows mine too. Mozzila Iceape browser 1.1.9-5, Debian Testing, 1.9 GHz
Pentium, 1.25 G RAM and using Nvidia driver from Unstable repositories
of Debian.

->HS

Old 07-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Nick Lidakis

Ron Johnson wrote:

The "inner" scroll region? No sluggishness or slowdown. Noticeable
CPU usage by /usr/bin/X11/X when I rapidly jerk the scroll bar up
and down, but that's normal.

Are ya using
the NV or Nvidia driver?

Sorry. The nvidia driver.

I forgot to ask if you were running a high resolution monitor, perhaps
1600x1200 or greater? Are you running any of the 3d accelerated desktop,
or regular 2d window manager?

Would you mind posting your xorg.conf? I have tried EXA and XAA options
to no avail. My desktop is a minimal Openbox and mrxvt affair.

I would love to run Intel graphics, but as of yet they don't offer any
discrete cards; my ASUS A8N-Premium works just fine except for the
Firefox slow downs.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Bob Cox

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 22:53:45 -0400, Nick Lidakis (nlidakis@verizon.net) wrote:

> Frank McCormick wrote:
>

>> Hummn.Tried both sites and they work well on my machine - the shame site
>> does tend to drive up the cpu needle.
>
> Would you (or anyone else, especially if you're using and Intel or
> NVIDIA driver) mind trying this site?
> http://www.tempus-vivit.net/taverne/thema/935 This is mentioned in
> another thread on the NVIDIA forum as well. Slows my Firefox (Athlon x2
> 4800+ 2GB RAM) down something ferocious.

Yes, this page is horribly sluggish when I use either Iceweasel 2.0.0.14
or Konqueror.

Athlon 2400+, 1GB, GeForce FX5200 128MB, nvidia driver.

However, the page scrolls perfectly using Opera 9.51.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Nick Lidakis

H.S. wrote:

.

Slows mine too. Mozzila Iceape browser 1.1.9-5, Debian Testing, 1.9 GHz
Pentium, 1.25 G RAM and using Nvidia driver from Unstable repositories
of Debian.

I'm running unstable as well with its current driver: 173.14.09 I'm
running one DVI panel (IBM L200P) at its native 1600x1200.

Seems that some people have no issues, with this same driver and Xorg
version, on any of those websites.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Arthur A

Bob Cox wrote:
Hummn.Tried both sites and they work well on my machine - the shame site
does tend to drive up the cpu needle.
Would you (or anyone else, especially if you're using and Intel or
NVIDIA driver) mind trying this site?
http://www.tempus-vivit.net/taverne/thema/935 This is mentioned in
another thread on the NVIDIA forum as well. Slows my Firefox (Athlon x2
4800+ 2GB RAM) down something ferocious.

Yes, this page is horribly sluggish when I use either Iceweasel 2.0.0.14
or Konqueror.

Athlon 2400+, 1GB, GeForce FX5200 128MB, nvidia driver.

However, the page scrolls perfectly using Opera 9.51.

It initially looked like it was scrolling ok, then became badly sluggish. I'm
using iceweasel 3 with an intel GMA onboard and the intel driver.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Frank McCormick

Old 07-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Ron Johnson

On 07/12/08 02:00, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> The "inner" scroll region? No sluggishness or slowdown. Noticeable
>> CPU usage by /usr/bin/X11/X when I rapidly jerk the scroll bar up
>> and down, but that's normal.
>>
>>> Are ya using
>>> the NV or Nvidia driver?
>>
>> Sorry. The nvidia driver.
>>

> I forgot to ask if you were running a high resolution monitor, perhaps
> 1600x1200 or greater? Are you running any of the 3d accelerated desktop,
> or regular 2d window manager?

A y2k-vintage Gateway VX1120 (Hitachi Diamondtron flat-screen CRT)
at 1280x1024 with GNOME & Metacity. (I see no reason to waste
resources on eye candy.)

> Would you mind posting your xorg.conf? I have tried EXA and XAA options
> to no avail. My desktop is a minimal Openbox and mrxvt affair.

Sure.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Thu Nov 9 17:55:20 PST 2006

# xorg.conf (Xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following commands as root:
#
# cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.custom
# md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf >/var/lib/xfree86/xorg.conf.md5sum
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen" 0 0
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
Option "AIGLX" "true"
EndSection

Section "Files"

#FontPath "unix/:7100" # local font server
# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/CID"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "bitmap"
Load "dbe"
Load "ddc"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "record"
Load "type1"
Disable "v4l"
Disable "dri"
Load "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
#Driver "keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
# Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
# Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "GatewayVX112"
HorizSync 30.0 - 121.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 SE]"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:6:0:0"
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
# Device "nVidia Corporation Unknown"
Monitor "GatewayVX112"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"