Old 07-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Don

Default Missing Edgeport USB driver in recent kernels

I hope someone can shed some light on my situation...assistance will be
greatly appreciated. Nice to see a lot of helpful old timers still on
this discussion list -- your help in the past has been appreciated.

I recently reinstalled Debian Lenny on my computer (long story, don't
ask) and in the process updated the kernel (previously 2.6.18) to
2.6.22. I discovered last week that my Edgeport/8 USB to RS232 box no
longer works under Debian (but still works under Win2k). Investigating,
I found the io_edgeport.ko driver missing from 2.6.22 and even
2.6.25-2-686 on the Debian package web pages. It apparently appeared
last in kernel 2.6.18.

Why was this driver left out from the newer kernels?

I do find the source files for io_edgeport.c and io_edgeport.h under the
/lib/modules/2.6.22-3-686/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ directory.

uname -a output:
Linux kali 2.6.22-3-686 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 20:20:49 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Is my best bet to try to recompile the kernel to include this driver?
Last time I tried that route a few years back, I had nothing but grief
-- but I am bracing myself to try again if necessary. (I *am*
adventurous, but really don't have that much time right now for new
adventures!)

Advice? Information?

Regards,
Don

Old 07-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Ron Johnson

On 07/09/08 20:41, Don wrote:
> I hope someone can shed some light on my situation...assistance will be
> greatly appreciated. Nice to see a lot of helpful old timers still on
> this discussion list -- your help in the past has been appreciated.
>
> I recently reinstalled Debian Lenny on my computer (long story, don't
> ask) and in the process updated the kernel (previously 2.6.18) to
> 2.6.22. I discovered last week that my Edgeport/8 USB to RS232 box no
> longer works under Debian (but still works under Win2k). Investigating,
> I found the io_edgeport.ko driver missing from 2.6.22 and even
> 2.6.25-2-686 on the Debian package web pages. It apparently appeared
> last in kernel 2.6.18.
>
> Why was this driver left out from the newer kernels?
>
> I do find the source files for io_edgeport.c and io_edgeport.h under the
> /lib/modules/2.6.22-3-686/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ directory.

Are you really asking is why it was not compiled in the binary kernel?

What happens if you "# insmod -v io_edgeport"?

> uname -a output:
> Linux kali 2.6.22-3-686 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 20:20:49 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> Is my best bet to try to recompile the kernel to include this driver?
> Last time I tried that route a few years back, I had nothing but grief
> -- but I am bracing myself to try again if necessary. (I *am*
> adventurous, but really don't have that much time right now for new
> adventures!)
>
> Advice? Information?

It's still in the 2.6.24 kernel.

$ locate io_edgeport | grep 2.6.24
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/io_edgeport.c
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/io_edgeport.h
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/io_edgeport.o
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/.io_edgeport.o.cmd
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/io_edgeport.mod.c
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/io_edgeport.mod.o
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/io_edgeport.ko
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/.io_edgeport.ko.cmd
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/.io_edgeport.mod.o.cmd
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/.tmp_versions/io_edgeport.mod
/lib/modules/2.6.24rlj_smp/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/io_edgeport.ko

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."

Old 07-10-2008, 03:16 AM
Don

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

Yes, that is one of my questions. It had been compiled in the binary
kernel before, but apparently dropped after 2.6.18. I read at one place
someone was proposing it was some kind of Debian policy violation.

What happens if you "# insmod -v io_edgeport"?

kali:/home/don# insmod -v io_edgeport
insmod: can't read '-v': No such file or directory
kali:/home/don# insmod io_edgeport -v
insmod: can't read 'io_edgeport': No such file or directory

[...]

kali:/home/don# locate io_edgeport
/usr/src/linux/linux-source-2.6.22/drivers/usb/serial/io_edgeport.c
/usr/src/linux/linux-source-2.6.22/drivers/usb/serial/io_edgeport.h
kali:/home/don#

I note in your "locate" above that you have compiled your own 2.6.24
kernel and apparently included the subject driver in it. I do not
believe the binary Debian 2.6.24 includes it (at least a search on the
Debian package site does not find it as an included ko file like it
finds it in 2.6.18).

I think you indirectly answered my question (the 2nd one about
recompiling a kernel) in the affirmative. For much of this, I'm
treading in somewhat unfamiliar waters -- I'm not a linux newbie but yet
I've not done much in the area of drivers and kernels before. Guess I
just want to be reassured by someone knowledgeable in this area that I'm
on the right path.

Don

Old 07-10-2008, 06:55 AM
"Mumia W.."