-   -   emacs: searching only for a variable (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/122140-emacs-searching-only-variable.html)

"H.S." 07-10-2008 01:37 AM

emacs: searching only for a variable

Hello,

If I search for a text in emacs (CTRL+s), it matches all occurrences of
the search text. For example, I am trying to search a variable "i" in a
large block of code. How do I tell emacs to hit only that variable and
not for every 'i' that may occur in the file? I have tried regexp search
(SHIFT+CTRL+s for '[^a-z]i[^a-z$]'). It sort of works but perhaps there
is a shorter and faster way.

Thanks.