Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Tyler MacDonald

Default printing...

I'm using sid...

I've got a print server set up in my garage.

I made my daughter's birthday invitations up into a PDF and told my print
server to print of 30 copies. I printed via the standard document viewer by
double-clicking on the PDF in nautilus.

It's printed off several copies now. Each time it starts to print, "gs"
(ghostscript) churns on the CPU for a minute before the print job is fired
off.

As far as I understand, gs's job is to prepare the job for direct spooling
to the printer.

So why, oh why, does it have to run for every single one of the 30 copies of
this document?

It doesn't bother me too much since it's a dedicated print/scanner server,
but it does seem a tad bit inefficient...

- Tyler