Old 07-10-2008, 12:52 AM
Celejar

Default Blurry fonts in printed invoices

Hi,

I've recently been having a great deal of trouble getting my browsers
to save invoices as PDF's. The fonts for the personalized part of the
page are illegibly blurry, although the boilerplate comes out okay. I
didn't used to see this problem, but I can't say when it started. It
occurs in IW and Epiphany, using cups-pdf as well as IW's native print
to pdf or ps functionality. I don't see the problem with ordinary
webpages, just invoices, and even the latter render fine in the
browser, I just can't save them (for later printing / viewing) properly
as PDF's. The problem occurs with any invoice type page I try. Saving
the file and running html2ps seems to work. Anyone seeing this, or know
what could be wrong

Celejar

Old 07-10-2008, 12:59 AM
"Mumia W.."

I've recently been having a great deal of trouble getting my browsers
to save invoices as PDF's. The fonts for the personalized part of the
page are illegibly blurry, [...]

I haven't seen that. Could you mock-up some samples for others to test with?

Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 19:59:06 -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 07/09/2008 07:52 PM, Celejar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've recently been having a great deal of trouble getting my browsers
>> to save invoices as PDF's. The fonts for the personalized part of the
>> page are illegibly blurry, [...]
>>

> I haven't seen that. Could you mock-up some samples for others to test with?

It might also be helpful to see what "pdffonts" reports for the
problematic PDFs. In addition to that, is there a difference with the
blurred fonts between display on screen and print? If the blurring is
visible on the screen as well, can you provide zoomed-in screenshots of
a good and a bad part? (assuming you can find clippings that illustrate
the problem without revealing any sensitive information)

Florian |

Old 07-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Celejar

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 19:59:06 -0500
"Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 07/09/2008 07:52 PM, Celejar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've recently been having a great deal of trouble getting my browsers
> > to save invoices as PDF's. The fonts for the personalized part of the
> > page are illegibly blurry, [...]
> >

> I haven't seen that. Could you mock-up some samples for others to test with?

I'll try. All the ones that are readily available contain personal
information; I'll have to either sanitize one, or find an example
without such information.

Celejar

Old 07-11-2008, 03:37 AM
Celejar

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 19:59:06 -0500
"Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 07/09/2008 07:52 PM, Celejar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've recently been having a great deal of trouble getting my browsers
> > to save invoices as PDF's. The fonts for the personalized part of the
> > page are illegibly blurry, [...]
> >

> I haven't seen that. Could you mock-up some samples for others to test with?

Ok, here are two cropped, sanitized versions of a Newegg invoice. This
is a screenshot of the IW display of the webpage:

http://lizzie.freehostia.com/newegg-web.jpg

and this is a screenshot of a version printed with CUPS-PDF:

http://lizzie.freehostia.com/newegg-pdf.jpg

I see the same problem when printing to an actual printer, to a
CUPS-PDF virtual printer, and when using IW's native print-to-file
functionality.

Is there any other information I can provide?

Celejar

Old 07-11-2008, 03:48 AM
Celejar

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:06:19 +0200
Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 19:59:06 -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> > On 07/09/2008 07:52 PM, Celejar wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've recently been having a great deal of trouble getting my browsers
> >> to save invoices as PDF's. The fonts for the personalized part of the
> >> page are illegibly blurry, [...]
> >>

> > I haven't seen that. Could you mock-up some samples for others to test with?
>
> It might also be helpful to see what "pdffonts" reports for the

Some examples, all from PDFs that exhibit at least some bad fonts:

name type emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
WQDACH+f-4-0 TrueType yes yes yes 164 0
[none] Type 3 yes no yes 94 0
[none] Type 3 yes no yes 24 0
[none] Type 3 yes no yes 15 0
[none] Type 3 yes no yes 54 0

name type emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
WQDACH+f-3-0 TrueType yes yes yes 142 0
[none] Type 3 yes no yes 36 0
[none] Type 3 yes no yes 21 0
[none] Type 3 yes no yes 47 0
RABYKY+f-4-0 TrueType yes yes yes 183 0
UFQSLH+f-5-0 TrueType yes yes yes 185 0
[none] Type 3 yes no yes 193 0

name type emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
NJCWTD+f-1-0 TrueType yes yes yes 10 0
RABYKY+f-0-0 TrueType yes yes yes 8 0
KPSHBO+f-4-0 TrueType yes yes yes 75 0
RDZRPI+f-5-0 TrueType yes yes yes 77 0
[none] Type 3 yes no yes 47 0
[none] Type 3 yes no yes 31 0
KPSHBO+f-6-0 TrueType yes yes yes 84 0
JBEEIF+f-7-0 TrueType yes yes yes 88 0

Unfortunately, I have no idea what any of this means :/

> problematic PDFs. In addition to that, is there a difference with the
> blurred fonts between display on screen and print? If the blurring is

The problem appears even on screen.

> visible on the screen as well, can you provide zoomed-in screenshots of
> a good and a bad part? (assuming you can find clippings that illustrate
> the problem without revealing any sensitive information)

I have posted some screenshots in another message to the list, although
I have the feeling that they may not be very useful. If you can
suggest any improvements on them, I'll be glad to post more.

Thanks for your help.

> Florian |

Celejar

Old 07-11-2008, 06:00 AM