Old 07-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default getting copies of own posted messages; was: ??: Stunned by aptitude.

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 11:33:39AM -0400, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> Chris Davies wrote:
> > Barclay, Daniel <daniel@fgm.com> wrote:
> >> Why don't you just copy the text and paste it into a message?
> >
> > Follows. Notice that even the text/plain part is base64 encoded.
>
> Thanks. (And thanks to others who sent me copies.)
>
> Now if I can figure out how to get the mail server configuration fixed ..
>
> Daniel
>

> P.S. How do I change my debian-user subscription to have the mailing list
> server send me a copy of my own posts? The MajorDomo/SmartList help response
> message doesn't says anything about changing that setting.

So far as I know, the default is to get copies of everything. Unless
you've changed it otherwise, you should be recieving them. Is you mail
system perhaps seeing them as duplicates and deleting them?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Bob Cox

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 12:41:57 -0400, Barclay, Daniel (daniel@fgm.com) wrote:

> Any idea how to confirm that it's the mail server and not my MUA (SeaMonkey
> 1.1.9, which I don't suspect but would want to rule out)?

It is the server as far as I can tell. In mutt I just press 'e' to edit
the whole message (in vim in my case) and at the top of the html
section there is:

charset=3Diso-8859-1">
6.5.7652.24">
<TITLE>Re: getting copies of own posted messages; was: Re: ??: Stunned =
by aptitude.</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Andrew Sackville-West wrote:<BR>
&gt; On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 11:33:39AM -0400, Barclay, Daniel =
wrote:<BR>

It even admits to converting it from plain text ;-)

Old 07-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 12:41:57PM -0400, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 11:33:39AM -0400, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> >>
> >> P.S. How do I change my debian-user subscription to have the mailing list
> >> server send me a copy of my own posts? The MajorDomo/SmartList help response
> >> message doesn't says anything about changing that setting.
> >
> > So far as I know, the default is to get copies of everything. Unless
> > you've changed it otherwise, you should be recieving them. Is you mail
> > system perhaps seeing them as duplicates and deleting them?
>
> That's a good theory.
>
> Any idea how to confirm that it's the mail server and not my MUA (SeaMonkey
> 1.1.9, which I don't suspect but would want to rule out)?

try a different MUA?

Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,09.Jul.08, 12:41:57, Barclay, Daniel wrote:

> Any idea how to confirm that it's the mail server and not my MUA (SeaMonkey
> 1.1.9, which I don't suspect but would want to rule out)?

Subscribe a different address (on a different server)?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)