Old 07-09-2008, 03:33 PM
"Barclay, Daniel"

Default getting copies of own posted messages; was: ??: Stunned by aptitude.

Title: getting copies of own posted messages; was: Re: ??: Stunned by aptitude.

Chris Davies wrote:

> Barclay, Daniel <daniel@fgm.com> wrote:

>> Why don't you just copy the text and paste it into a message?

> Follows. Notice that even the text/plain part is base64 encoded.

Thanks.* (And thanks to others who sent me copies.)

Now if I can figure out how to get the mail server configuration fixed ..

Daniel

P.S.* How do I change my debian-user subscription to have the mailing list

server send me a copy of my own posts?* The MajorDomo/SmartList help response

message doesn't says anything about changing that setting.

(Not getting such copies is part of why I didn't notice the HTML-mail problem--and

I wonder how long it has looked that I had my MUA set to do that (how long the

mail server has been configured that way).)

Daniel

Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-09-2008, 04:16 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Old 07-09-2008, 04:40 PM
"Barclay, Daniel"

Title: Re: getting copies of own posted messages; was: Re: ??: Stunned by aptitude.

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 07/09/08 10:33, Barclay, Daniel wrote:

> [snip]

>> Now if I can figure out how to get the mail server configuration fixed ..

> Replacing Lookout with Postfix would do the trick.*

Did you mean Exchange?* (I thought "Lookout" referred to Outlook, which I'm

not using.)

> Might be a bit of an upheaval, though...

Yeah.* The best I can probably hope for is that the plain-text-to-HTML

convers^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hcorruption is configurable in Exchange and somehow I and

others here can convince some powers that be to change it.

> [snip]

>> I wonder how long it has looked that I had my MUA set to do that (how

>> long the mail server has been configured that way).)

> ????

> The Debian list manager sends *all* posts to *all* subscribers.

Hmm.* Yeah, I thought it would be doing that, especially if there's no option

to select whether to do that or not.

Daniel

Old 07-09-2008, 04:41 PM
"Barclay, Daniel"

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 11:33:39AM -0400, Barclay, Daniel wrote:

>> P.S.* How do I change my debian-user subscription to have the mailing list

>> server send me a copy of my own posts?* The MajorDomo/SmartList help response

>> message doesn't says anything about changing that setting.

> So far as I know, the default is to get copies of everything. Unless

> you've changed it otherwise, you should be recieving them. Is you mail

> system perhaps seeing them as duplicates and deleting them?

That's a good theory.

Any idea how to confirm that it's the mail server and not my MUA (SeaMonkey

1.1.9, which I don't suspect but would want to rule out)?

Daniel

Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 PM
"Barclay, Daniel"

Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:

>> P.S.* How do I change my debian-user subscription to have the mailing list

>> server send me a copy of my own posts?* The MajorDomo/SmartList help response

>> message doesn't says anything about changing that setting.

>> (Not getting such copies is part of why I didn't notice the HTML-mail problem--and

>> I wonder how long it has looked that I had my MUA set to do that (how long the

>> mail server has been configured that way).)

>> Daniel

> It's the behaviour of gmail - the bug and the feature simultaneously. Do

> you use gmail?

No, I'm using SeaMonkey (with POP, it that's relevant.)

Daniel

Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
"Barclay, Daniel"

I wrote, slightly too quickly:

> Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:

>>> P.S.* How do I change my debian-user subscription to have the mailing

>>> list

>>> server send me a copy of my own posts?* The MajorDomo/SmartList help

>>> response

>>> message doesn't says anything about changing that setting.

>>> (Not getting such copies is part of why I didn't notice the HTML-mail

>>> problem--and

>>> I wonder how long it has looked that I had my MUA set to do that (how

>>> long the

>>> mail server has been configured that way).)

>>> Daniel

>> It's the behaviour of gmail - the bug and the feature simultaneously. Do

>> you use gmail?

> No, I'm using SeaMonkey (with POP, it that's relevant.)

s/it/if/

Old 07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Ron Johnson